Chapter Seventeen - Fuck Up the Friendship

Eli was so good at being put together. In his blue Canucks straight billed baseball cap and bright white tennis shoes, it was like he was made for Church. Which was why he was such a good actor...

"I can't believe you decided to come out to the exact same club as us! What a coincidence!" Drunk Marissa shouted from atop Tre's lap and he dug his fingers into her stomach to keep her from toppling forwards.

"Yeah, total coincidence..." I muttered.

"What was that?" Eli asked, leaning across Connor and a little too close to me.

"I said..." my voice was more forceful, "it is such a strange coincidence. Out of all the bars in L.A., you choose to come to this one...and by yourself no less."

"What can I say, I guess it was just fate." The double meaning of his words sliced through me like a knife. I didn't know why he was taunting me, taking the time to come here and ruin my evening, when he'd made it very clear in the shower that he wasn't interested in me.

"Connor, darling," I placed a hand to his muscular chest and enjoyed the way Eli flinched. A crack in his exterior.

"Would you please grab me some water? I'm absolutely parched." I knew I was being a little over the top, but I needed Connor to leave the vicinity so I could tell Eli to fuck off in the way I wanted to.

"Absolutely, gorgeous." He kissed my cheek lightly, earning a fist clench from Eli.

I scoped the dance floor, watching the couples grind on each other in peace after Connor left, recalling his hands on my body, the way it felt to dance with his large frame, until a different hand brushed my thigh. Lightning raced through my veins and my heart clapped like thunder against my chest. Eli. Sitting much closer. Much too close...

I tried to slide further from him, towards where Tre and Marissa were making out, but he only followed me on the church pew bench.

"Stop that." I hissed, and he smirked.

"Dance with me." His hand touched my leg again, but I shoved it off and searched for Connor in the crowd. Where the fuck was he?!

"No."

"Come on." Eli persisted even when I slapped his hand away for a second time. "It's okay if you don't know how...I'll teach you." His voice was kind, but his eyes were mocking. Pompous. Arrogant. Prick.

My own ego took control and I stood, pulling the latex material as far down my thighs as it would go. "I may not have been pretty enough, or cool enough to be asked to Prom, but I am a damn good dancer." I held my head high as I strutted past him and onto the packed dance floor. "Just try and keep up, West." I pushed my hands in the air and started to move my hips to a techno remix of Fuck Up the Friendship by Leah Kate. How fitting.

A guy to my left tried to step behind me, smiling widely, but Eli was faster.

"Sorry man, she's taken." I was about to protest until his hands found my waist and pulled my hips back against his. Oh. This certainly didn't feel like a friends way of dancing...

I closed my eyes and rolled my hips against his front, feeling him harden behind me. He leaned forward so his breath was hot against my neck.

"I hate this dress. I hate it so much." I felt stung until he flipped me in his arms, never missing a beat. I pushed my arms around his neck to keep from falling over and his long fingers gripped onto my ass as we continued our give and take.

"Why do you hate my dress?" I asked, my voice coming out more breathy than I had anticipated.

"It's attracting entirely too much attention." His blue eyes were locked on me, but I looked away, noticing that every male within a ten foot radius was openly staring at us. Staring at me. I swallowed hard not appreciating all the wandering eyes. Inside, I was still the nerdy, overweight, shrimpy freshman dancing with the hottest guy in school. Hell, the hottest guy on the planet.