Chapter Fifty-Four - Blue

The gold and diamond channels of my Cartier Love bracelet twinkled in the kitchen lights as I slammed back a half shot of vodka...just to take the edge off.

The last time I'd been in a romantic setting was with Connor after Marissa's wedding, and that had turned out really fucking well...

My eyes glazed over a little recalling the angry line of Eli's lips.

'Whoring yourself out at a wedding'...

I gripped the quartz countertop painfully.

Fucking Elijah West...

The bottle of Ciroc seemed to stare at me, begging for another shot, but I ultimately pushed it away. Ethan's address was somewhere in the Hollywood Hills, and I was already cutting it close with the ever-present L.A. traffic. Even on a Tuesday evening.

I turned off the kitchen lights, feeling full of nervous energy. I hadn't been lying when I said I'd never really done this dating thing before.

Eli was always just there, and the guys in college were too broke to take me out, and too lazy to put in the effort. Ethan though, he was different, and different was intimidating. Between his tattoos and his dimples, and the way he said my name. Aaavereee with his slight British lilt at the end, it made me feel kind of...hot.

I smoothed down the pale pink fabric of my stapless dress, and brushed my blonde waves with my fingertips. I felt like the version of myself my conservative grandmother in Nashville would've liked. With Ralph Lauren tags and nude wedges, but I couldn't help it. Whenever I was unsure of myself, I loaded on the makeup and wore the most hideous buttoned up items in my wardrobe. My mom was the same way. Grandma Sandra had passed down some really fun neurotic tendencies....

As I crossed the drive in my wedges and climbed into my Range Rover, I repeated my daily mantra of start, start, start but this time the universe wasn't listening. The engine whined and squealed and turned over three times before becoming quiet.

"No, no, no! Come on!" I tried again, and the starter gave one half-assed click before quieting again. I slammed my fist against the steering wheel repeatedly.

Maybe this was some sort of sign...I shouldn't go out with Ethan because I still wasn't completely over Eli...

My eyes met in the rear view mirror where I'd slumped my head back against the black leather headrest. No. Fuck that. That boy had taken up too much of my life, and I wasn't going to let him ruin this too. I determinedly reached for my cell inside of my purse, selecting Ethan's phone number I still hadn't saved.

The line rang twice before his smooth voice greeted me.

"Are you here early?!" He chuckled into the receiver.

"Not exactly." I failed miserably to keep the frustration out of my voice. "I think I'm going to have to reschedule."

"Avery..." His own voice took on a pleading quality that made my stomach twist. He thought I was backing out because I wasn't into him.

"My car won't start." I blurted, feeling my cheeks burn.

"Oh," he paused for a moment. "where are you?"

"At home."

"Send me the address." I could hear rustling on his end.

"It's all the way in Malibu..."

"Cool. I'll be there in twenty."

"It'll take you at least an hour."

"I drive fast." I could hear his grin and my underwear dampened a little. "Wear something casual."