Chapter Fifty-Three - Dirty Laundry

Avery:

That next day, I was surrounded by a pile of dirty laundry, and various other cleaning products when my doorbell rang. I ignored the high-tech peephole again and flung the door wide open, pleased to see a familiar set of dark eyes and glossy dark hair staring straight back at me - albeit the entire package was a little...off.

"Are you going to invite me in, bitch?! Or should I go get my yoga mat and crash out here?" Marissa Le's sarcastic bite was music to my still exhausted ears. She was wearing a burgundy wrap dress and sky high heels, but her usually polished exterior looked like she needed a brush and an iron...in that order. I squinted my eyes harder, and I could actually see a green tint to her naturally olive complexion.

"Come in, please." I waved her inside and she eyed my ratty UCLA jumpsuit distastefully. To my defense, it wasn't like I was expecting company...

"How're you feeling?"

"Like shit."

"I'm sorry." I considered hugging her, but remembered she wasn't the hugging kind. Her mom had made sure of that. "Can I get you anything?"

"No, lets just go outside and talk."

"Oooookay..." I eyed her suspiciously, but still followed her out the sliding glass doors and onto my deck.

"You remember when I called and told you I couldn't quit throwing up, so I couldn't make it to your birthday." Marissa was never one to beat around the bush. She was already talking before our asses even hit the swinging bench.

"Yeah."

"It's not because I had a stomach bug. It's because I'm fucking pregnant."

"What?!" I screamed and threw my arms around her, forgetting her hugging aversion, and she patted my arm twice before pulling away.

"That's great news!"

"Is it?! I mean fuck. I've been on birth control for years and nothing's happened. And then poof three months into marriage, I forget a pill, and I'm already knocked up. We had a plan, you know?! How am I supposed to build my career with a kid?"

"You act like this is some sort of death sentence."

"It is. A death sentence to my social life. A death sentence to my career aspirations. A death sentence to my love life. Am I an asshole for feeling like this?! I mean, shit, with Daniel I have to pretend it's all rainbows and sunshine, when I'm freaking out inside."

I hugged her again and this time she went limp. Another very un-Marissa thing to do. "You can still be a great businesswoman, and have kinky sex with your husband, and party with us, while being a kick ass mom..."

"You think so?"

"I know so..." She wiped tears from her cheeks, laughing a little.

"You see? This kid has already got me all emotional." We both chuckled, looking out at the waves.

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

"Anything new on your horizon."

"Actually...yes. I met someone."

"What?! When the fuck did this happen?! See, I'm already missing out!"

"Relax Mommy FOMO, it just happened two days ago, the night of my birthday."

"Tell me everything."