𝟔. 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐞 𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

— CLEO.

I'M IN THE passenger seat of Mom's white Honda Civic as we make our to JFK International Airport. I can feel my stomach turning. This is my first flight without my parents. Hell, this is my first time out of the state without my family. What if I get lost, or kidnapped, or, I don't know, drugged? Those are very possible circumstances. But I'm also nervous about filming. Have you seen that ENews article? Millie Bobby Brown is my co-star.

Oh, God. I'm going to embarrass myself in front of Millie Bobby Brown. Oh my God.

Mom glances over at me as she drives down the freeway. "I know when you're nervous, hon. But you'll do great. Plus, you'll have Louis there. It's always nice to have a familiar face with you."

I scoff. "Not when the familiar face is literally the devil," I mutter to myself.

"I heard that," Mom says, raising her right eyebrow at me. She sighs. "Louis is a sweet kid. If you guys weren't competing all the time, you would see that you guys have many similarities. I think you guys would make great friends."

I turn my whole body towards her, my seat belt slipping off my front. "Mom, no! We are talking about Louis Partridge! This is the same kid that kicked a soccer ball at my face and blamed it on the wind."

I was running laps in PE and Louis was practicing for his game after school. They won last week 17 to 0. They absolutely decimated Midtown— not like I kept up with his games or anything. I am just a lover of school sports— that's all.

As I got closer and closer to his side of the field and as he got closer and closer to the ball, he went straight for the kick and the ball went flying towards my face. I fell down— hard. Everyone rushed towards me. It was so embarrassing.

I swear we made direct eye contact before that kick. It was like he wanted it to hit me.

And to save face, guess what he did. He ran straight for me! He really put those acting skills to use because he acted like he cared about my well-being right after kicking a fucking soccer ball at my face!

That's when I knew we were sworn enemies. That's when I knew I hated Louis Partridge.

"Honey, just give him a chance," Mom says as I roll my eyes and look out the window, watching all of the tall buildings pass us by, like short glimmers in the sky.

"Also," Mom continues— much to my dismay. "You guys are love interests. Who knows? You may end up liking each other," she says with a small smile.

"Mom, that's even nastier than the fart Seth ripped this morning. I will not be liking the enemy. This is strictly acting."

She shrugs. "If you say so."

*⭐️*

We finally arrive at the terminal as Mom cuts the engine at the drop-off zone. We get out of the car, Mom assisting me with the bags from the trunk. Once my luggage is on the ground, we hug each other, say our goodbyes, and I walk inside.

The airport is massive which means: easy to get lost in. I rely mainly on signs as I'm too anxious to go up to anyone and ask for directions.