two

He who is not busy being born is busy dying

Bob Dylan

'How can I ever rid myself of such remorse?'

My gaze flickered over the words of the thin book within my hands, trusting my instinct to guide me as I wandered down the dirt road.

'If it were of a different nature I could perhaps soothe my feelings by expressing them in poetry. But it is deeply engraved upon my heart that I fear this is impossible.'

The sun hit my back in a quite lovely way, basking me in warmth as I made my journey across the land, satchel bouncing on my hip. On either side of the road I was traveling, there were vast farms and people working within them. Some of them would give me a greeting but it unintentionally fell upon my deaf ears. They'd sometimes laugh it off, even when I glanced up a second later. 

'And yet, as there is no one here this evening, and it will be some while before the cabin boy comes to turn off the light, I think I will try to record the outline of my story here.'

"Don't run into something," A voice playfully spoke, immediately breaking me from my concentration. I blinked at the page before flickering my gaze up, meeting it with a familiar face.

The elderly man smiled gently at me, sitting on the front porch of the shop with a large pack basket already filled and ready to go. His aura gently glowed around him, subtle as I wasn't focusing on sensing it, but gentle in nature and showing his contentment.

I hummed gently in reply, bowing my head so that my hair fell a bit and hid the embarrassment on my features. Always the teasing. Shoving my book into my satchel, I turned my focus to the task at hand - the reason I was wandering down the road in the first place.

The shopkeeper pats the top of the basket, "It's all right here. Everything your teacher asked for."

As always, a full and large basket. I stacked it up to being mainly my fellow pupil's fault. He always enjoyed making a big meal for celebrations. Even though it was his own birthday. What an egotist.

"Thank you," I replied, bowing at my waist gently for emphasis but he waved it off.

"You're the one that has to carry it all that way. I should be thanking you for buying all this stuff," He mused, groaning gently as he slowly pushed himself up from his chair. I dug through my bag at his statement, pulling out the sealed letter and handing it to him, which he thanked me for before heading inside and asking me to wait for a quick second. I did, gripping the strap of my backpack as I stood on the dirt ground.

A farmer was off in the field, I noticed, tending to a plant with a large straw hat. Just past the farm, a large forest towered over the land. Its dense trees cast a shadow on the ground and I could only imagine how dark it was within there. I wondered if things hid in there. Probably. No matter what, a shadow would always remain where there was light. They practically complemented each other; night and day, sun and moon, yin and yang. Always opposites. Perhaps complimented isn't quite the best word, however. Seen as they tend to fight and argue over one another.