twenty-two

6k reads 😳😳😳

[no gif today sorry hehe]

In this town, there was a legend the children passed to one another. Parents warned their children, and the kids sparked rumors about it. And just as all rumors go, this one sparked interest and bets among the kids as well.

The legend revolved around a large cave within the neighboring forest. It had existed before the village's creation, standing strong and with the original intention of becoming a mine. The town formed with the ideology of the many caves and tall mountains being home to goods and jewels to make them rich. 

But that was not the case; if the fact of the town being both a farming and fishing village was anything to go by. 

Legend has it, that this cave was inhabited by a monster. One that destroyed all miners that dare go inside and left no remains. The myth grew beyond the cave, until it now became a tradition to no longer go in the cave, nor be out during the dark. Apparently, the nighttime was rather lively here out of a universal fear of the dark. And they would often give offerings at the mouth of the cave, hoping to be spared by the creature that lived there.

While the legend had died down over the years, having little evidence to support it, it still was rampant among the kids. And when kids are told not to do something - 

They want to do it. 

Oya had been dared to go into the cave. He hadn't come out.

"Don't go in there," I chastised, as the kids all listened to me with wide eyes, "Ever. If you hear rumors like that, listen."

They all nodded hastily, huddled together and nearly shaking, but they listened with an innate curiosity. As we had begun speaking to one another, more and more kids joined the crowd to see the weird teen I was, and I had spiked their interest in them all. Strangers didn't appear often, here. Much less with such odd outfits and swords on their hips. 

One of the boys lifted their head, "A-Are you going?"

"I am," I confirmed, hand already resting on my sword. It was midday, but if what they said was true, it wouldn't matter. The cave would be dark, no doubt. 

A young girl this time piped up in freight, "But you just said it was dangerous! What's in there?"

"A demon," I replied plainly. 

A resounding gasp overcame the small crowd of children gathered around my legs. They instantly started whispering to one another in fright, speaking of how close they'd gone to the cave and what could've happened. But one boy shouted out above the rest.

"No there isn't!" He defiantly shouted, and the crowd parted so I could see his disbelieving face, "Demons don't exist. It's just stupid to lie parents tell us."

My brow furrowed a tad before I just corrected, "They do. Demons exist among us - I'm a demon hunter."

Another wave of noises sprouted and they gazed up at me before the girl once again asked, "What do you do?!"

"I hunt demons," I explained with a shrug, "They kill and devour humans. So we slayers work to protect you."

"D-Devour..?" A small voice quivered as the whisper spiked in interest and fear. I could hear a child start to wail softly in the back of the crowd, making my brow furrow. This was stuff I'd known since far before I was their age. All my life I'd known of demons' existence and the threat they were. 

...Maybe I had been raised a tad differently.

"Don't worry," I quelled as they all looked for affirmation, "I'll handle it and there will be nothing to worry about. You're all safe."