twenty-eight

"Hold up!"

Zenitsu's call made us pause, turning back toward the blonde boy in confusion. Nightfall had made its way across the land and we had managed to get to the base of the mountain in time for a night full of what I assumed to be demon fighting. One where we'd hopefully live to see the sunrise.

"Would you mind waiting a second?" He questioned.

Tanjiro gave him a concerned look, "Zenitsu? What's wrong?"

Said yellow boy was now curled up in a ball, practically bawling on the ground with his knees to his chest, and cried out, "I'm scared, all right?! Now that we're nearing our destination, I'm so scared!"

I let out a heavy sigh, my brow furrowed and crossing my arms. Inosuke questioned, "Why the hell is he sitting? How creepy is that?"

"Who are you to talk, Pig Face?!" Zenitsu cried out in retaliation.

"This is a waste of time," I mumbled, picking at my sleeve and turning slightly to try and initiate any movement, but there was none from the others.

Especially as the blonde boy pointed behind us and toward our destination, "Don't tell me you're not getting any vibes from that mountain!"

We turned to look towards the said mountain. It was... a mountain. Sure, maybe a tad creepy, with the moonlight illuminating the trees and its sheer height. But we were there for a specific reason. One that would warrant an air of eeriness.

"We're here to slay a demon," I reminded him, "It's expected that there'd be an unsettling air here."

Tanjiro added, "And besides, what good will it do to just sit there?"

"I told you, he's creepy," Inosuke mused.

"I am not in any way creepy!" Zenitsu cried out again, "I'm normal! I'm the normal one! You guys are abnormal!"

I gave him a bored expression, "How did you even become a demon slayer?"

He grumbled something, but Tanjiro suddenly turned to face the mountain and all of our attention turned to him. His expression had snapped into one of concern, brows taut and lips pulled.

"What's wrong?" I asked him, glancing towards the mountain but unable to see what he must've. Or maybe smelt - I'm not sure.

He gave me my answer, "What is this smell?"

But then, he just dashed off toward the base of the mountain. With little hesitation, Inosuke and I followed close on his heel while Zenitsu was still sitting in the middle of the road. He cried something about not leaving him and eventually got onto his feet to follow as well.

We dashed along the dirt path and toward the edge of the forest before Tanjiro and Inosuke stopped ahead of me. I nearly ran into the warm boy's broad back but managed to stop before and look between the two of them. There was a boy, face down on the ground with a sword in one hand and adorning the same uniform as us.

When he saw us, he glanced up with tears running down his face and uttered, "Help me."

I was the first to move forward as Tanjiro spoke with the boys, but I crouched down beside the injured demon slayer and asked, "What happened?"

Inosuke and Tanjiro appeared behind me but just as they did, I spotted a glint in the air. Pausing and narrowing my eyes, I retreated my outstretched hand in caution. Luckily I did as well because a moment later and the fellow demon slayer was suddenly tugged into the air. Tanjiro's hand went to my shoulder as if to make sure I didn't fly off as well, and the black-haired boy soon disappeared into the treeline.