forty-two

PSA: I'm going to probably rewrite some of the first few chapters. I've worked out Y/n's character a lot more and simplified it, so I need to go back and take out some things that have created plot holes and such. Not huge changes, but possibly worth a re-read depending on how your mind sticks to details. Chapters may come out slower while I do this.

Anyway, enjoy.

The fight was a blaze of mutual fury. Each side has its own cause and reason. 

After just a few seconds, it was incomprehensible what was occurring. There was too much fire, attacks, and movement to make anything visible to our untrained eyes. It grew and festered, rising as everything else seemed at a standstill. A mighty pillar of flames blocked everything as it rose and made a nearly tornado-like appearance. 

And in the next moment, it was dissipating away. The flames dispersed into the air and embers rained down, fluttering like butterflies or leaves in the wind. The force blew my hair back from my face and the warmth cascaded over me like a gentle blanket. I was too distracted by the events to relish in them for even the faintest moment. 

"I see him-" Tanjiro started, but paused mid-sentence. I saw him too. My voice had escaped me. Tanjiro stuttered out his name.

I wasn't able to breathe anymore. Once I saw it with my own eyes.

Akaza's fist had pierced Rengoku's abdomen. The flame hashira coughed up blood. 

And yet Upper 3 was still shouting about Rengoku becoming a demon. 

I could hear each of my breaths. They were surprisingly steady as I stared ahead at the scene. There was a familiar feeling beginning to wash over me. One that had occurred first when Mother died, and then second after my siblings. 

It wasn't the emotion of despair or sadness. It was... apathy. 

I stared at the blood coming from Rengoku's face and felt a wash of numbness flood my skin and mind. A shield being put up around me - self-defense against the harsh outside world. 

Rengoku was going to die. Humans don't survive wounds like that. Humans always die, in the end. 

He was going to die. Akaza was healing and regenerating. 

And I could feel an acute numbness in my head. But I was also well aware that it was the only thing keeping me in my spot, continuing to watch the scene ahead of me. My hand drifted to the hilt of my sword. 

Rengoku let out a battle cry, swinging his sword and connecting the blade with the neck of Akaza. His aura was unwavering, even now, in the face of death, blocking a blow from Akaza's fist. Till the very end, he was determined to do everything in his power to kill this demon. Even though he was bound to die.

I could see a shred of light appearing behind me and glanced back to see the sun appearing. Rengoku was going to die, but if he could take the demon with him in his final moments - would that make his life worth it? To kill Upper 3 of the twelve kizuki, is his life a valid exchange?

I blinked and Tanjiro was gone - I hadn't even noticed him moving - and I quickly spun to find his presence again. He had run off, grabbing his sword despite his wound and making quick paces toward the standstill. I opened my mouth to call after him but thought better of alerting Akaza, and clutched the hilt of my own sword instead. 

The sun is coming up. The one chance we have - the demon was losing his race against it. If we could slow him down. Keep him here. It will have been worth it, right?