thirty-six

A/N; Welcome back everyone :)

This is in honor of episode 1 of season 3 coming out. Still gonna be slow on the updates, but I wanted to give a treat

Every time Daichi used to take me on a train, I typically could never sleep. It was an unexplainable phenomenon, seen as my counterpart peer would practically pass out as soon as he hit a seat. Something about the rocking and bumping of the train has a soothing effect on him, but the opposite on me. I used to use this downtime with him asleep to read and catch up on books. Maybe write some letters to Akio if I'd been gone a while or to the people from my old village - who I only wrote to for a bit after leaving until the letters tapered off into occasional check-ins. Maybe I should write one again. It's been a while. 

The fact that I couldn't rest well on a train was still prevalent even now, as I followed the boys through the rocking cars. The aura of passengers became background noise as I just focused up ahead. Lots of emotions - not as mind-numbing as a city, but still noticeable so I tried not to dwell on it too much. 

Inosuke was still enamored by the train. Any information Zenitsu or I gave about it being a manmade machine went in one ear and out the other, and the poor blonde ended up practically being a babysitter towards the wild boy as he disturbed nearly every passenger we walked past. Even I pulled him back by the fur of his mask and bowed in apology toward a passenger at one point. 

We calmly walked down the aisle of the train, Tanjiro in the lead while I took the back and Zenitsu dragged Inosuke in front of me. The blonde boy asked, "He's a Hashira, right? This Rengoku person... Are you sure you'll recognize his face?"

"Sure," Tanjiro easily replied, "He had this gaudy hairstyle, and I remember his scent, too."

The train car ended and we all paused, waiting for the head of our small group to slide the next door open. He glanced back at us with an ever-present warm smile (my chest felt odd - I made a mental note of it in case I had some concerning condition) and reassured us, "I think I'll know it's him once we get close."

Tanjiro slid open the door and as if he released some sort of beast, a loud voice shouted, "Delicious!" to the point of making me wary on my feet. I jumped at the initial sound, startled by such a noise. Now that my focus was more contained, I found it weird to think I could miss such a powerful aura from the next car.

Like a blazing flame, filled with passion and determination, even in a resting state. It felt like it could wash over and engulf me if I wasn't careful, but I was unsure if the outcome would be positive or negative. Either way, I was frozen with wide eyes. 

We inched forward and through the second door until the passengers were visible but he shouted again, "Delicious!" And we flinched in surprise. 

Cautiously, we crept through the train car admittedly peeking around Tanjiro as the repeated word continued on in a slightly lower tone. Continuous praising for whatever they were doing - I assume eating - even as people began to stare and we came closer.