twenty

Don't be the sunlight in someone's bright hours, try to be moonlight in someone's dark hours

Amit Kalantri

We managed to rest the night, though neither of us slept much more. The two of us minded our own business and did various random things. Tanjiro brushed out Nezuko's hair and got a bit of food. I wrote and drew in my notebook, as well as sewing up both of our haori's. I would really hate for mine to get ruined. It was borrowed from Mother, after all. But after a few stitches and a gentle clean, it was good as new.

Both of us were ready bright and early to continue the next day, with bags on our shoulders and clothes neat and tidy. It was refreshing to take a short break in a comfortable bed, and we thanked the keepers downstairs. The boy looked flushed, and a tad disappointed when we left. I was unable to place why that was.

Leaving the city was more than a welcome thing to me, and the sun felt nice as we traveled along the outskirts. My headache had dulled the farther we went and I was feeling a newfound sense of peace without it. And soon, as we began reaching the country and passed very few people, our crows began once again shouting directions at us.

I finally understood why Mother was always gone for such long periods. Being a Demon Hunter really was a busy job.

Ocha, my crow, had taken a perch on my shoulder. He stood tall and while I was a bit frightened of him angrily flapping his wings, he was calm at the moment. He seemed... serene. As if he was a bit on the older side. I mean, he was bigger than Tanjiro's crow, so maybe that was possible. For all I knew, maybe he served another demon slayer before me.

Tanjiro's crow, Matsuemon, was the complete opposite. He had been quiet for a while but as soon as we got far enough from the city, he was quacking and crying about making Tanjiro head southeast. It was becoming harsh to hear and we were both growing fed up with it.

Eventually, my friend seemed to break and covered his ears, shouting to the crow about how we definitely heard him already and the repetition was unneeded. The crow relented, landing on his arm. I let out a soft sigh of annoyance as Ocha shifted on my shoulder.

"PLEASE!"

There was suddenly a loud shout that cause both mine and Tanjiro's and our crow's attention. I paused inattentiveness, turning sharply at the cry.

I wish I hadn't turned.

"Please, please, please, please!" A rather pathetic boy with a yellow haori and matching aura (in this case, I assumed it symbolized cowardice and fear) cried out. He was on his knees, literally begging a poor young woman, "Please marry me!"

...What? What kind of backward proposal was this? My face contorted in confusion and second-hand embarrassment.

"I could die any day, you know!" He lamented, trapping the poor girl with his hands on her arms, "That's why I want you to marry me! So please! Please, I'm begging you!"