forty-six

Just a small A/N
I'm not putting as much effort into this story as i used too. not cause i don't love it - this is my child and i've been writing it for 4+ years lol but that being said, i'm an adult and trying to go to college for creative writing. So this story won't be as refined as it used to be cause i'm writing my own original story too. i'll still write this story, but it's definitely a side hobby and not my main story. I hope you all understand and can still enjoy the world i've created in Boketto. I adore it with all my heart ❤️

It's not ending!!! just a little heads up the quality may be down cause i'm not going to be focusing on inconsistencies or grammatical things as much. :))

enjoy.

"What is it?" I quietly asked, now alone with Daichi and away from Tanjiro and Zenitsu. The two had sensed the shift in energy anyways and excused themselves to go see if Inosuke had returned.

Daichi's smile and joyful persona had shifted back into the more serious male I was familiar with. He always said that when saving people, it aids to be a kinder and more comforting presence. It made people feel more at peace, and he liked seeing people smile despite the tragedy surrounding them. It was admirable, I admit. We just had different focuses, but he was a great gesture.

Before he answered, I asked, "Is it Aika Sensei?"

"It is," He confirmed, knowing it to be a mercy on my part not to sugarcoat anything.

"How bad is it?" I mumbled. As if keeping my voice down would make it better.

Daichi sighed, "Bad. The medicine isn't working anymore. Nothing is slowing it down, and she can't get around alone. She wants to speak with you, so I came."

I hummed, a sinking feeling in my stomach, but frankly, we both knew it was coming. Since I first began teaching under her, I knew of her illness. Something she had suffered with for a while, but could be contained with medicine for a while. We knew that eventually, it would surface again with vigor. Just when I had regained my good spirits, too.

He continued, with a softer tone, "...I don't know how much longer there is. You should come now."

It was Daichi saying this to me - the man who kept everything as cheerful as possible - so I took his words at face value and nodded my head, "Let me get my stuff."

We left that night, just before dusk. Tanjiro gave me a hug (Daichi very poorly contained his giddiness and gasp, but I returned it with a shove against his arm) and asked me to be safe. I reassured him that I'd be fine, and no doubt back within a few weeks, if that. Daichi had an absolute field day with the interaction, but I didn't understand why. We were friends. Why did he find it so amusing?

"You're so dense," He hissed out in mock annoyance as we walked down the road. Side by side like we used to do when I was training.

"Shut up," I hissed back, able to through as much sass and mockery as he gave me.

Daichi huffed in amusement, giving me a side eye and asking, "His name was 'Tanjiro', right?"

"It is," I confirmed, but huffed in a warning. Daichi would never say anything to intentionally harm me - he just says enough to get on my nerves. I know he does it on purpose. But it still annoys me sometimes.

He gave me a cat-like smile. I rolled my eyes at it.

He said, "You love him, don't you?"

"What?" I questioned immediately, voice raising in volume unintentionally before I quickly lowered it again and said, "We're friends."