three

There is no one giant step that does it

There is no one giant step that does it. It's a lot of little steps.

Peter A. Cohen

My feet padded against the ground, nose deep in a book but not truly understanding the words on the page. Rain poured against the roof outside, causing a soft pitter-patter to sound throughout the house. Harmony of nature, melodic and gentle, drenching the garden outside with drops. It would bloom nicely. My teacher would find that pleasing. 

Finding my reading futile, I clamped the book shut and held it at my side, continuing to wander down the hallway. It was quiet. Though it tended to be on days like this. There wasn't exactly much to do, since we always trained outside and the garden was outdoors as well. Taking a walk was out of the question as well. I didn't feel like getting soaked. Maybe I could go sit on the porch...

"Come have tea."

I blinked in surprise, perking up before turning around at the familiar voice behind me. The older teen smiled bright, holding a tray in his hand with said items. Some teacups and a kettle. Matching set, it seemed, beautifully decorated. 

He lifted a shoulder, a way of gesturing behind him as he continued, "I'm gonna have some with Ms. Aika since I'm leaving tomorrow. You should join us."

There was little hesitation on my end, and I bobbed my head when I had made my reply. My fellow pupil smiled before turning and beginning to lead the way. Our footsteps joined the chorus of raindrops outside. 

I watched his back as we walked, fiddling with the spine of the older book within my grasp. His typical haori was still draped on his shoulders, deep greyish-blue that faded darker at the end. White strips lined the edges of the sleeves and the bottom of the haori, seeming to creep up and create decorative designs resembling flowers in the dark blue color. I always thought it was pretty. Went well with his chocolate hair and stormy eyes. He thought it was a bit feminine, but refused to get a new one. Our teacher always got upset cause he complained but refused to change it. The thought of their fruitless arguments amused me a bit. 

He led us into another room where the door was slid open, allowing the cool outside air to waft in with the gentle breeze. Greenery decorated the room, some plants having long vines and others having large leaves. They looked freshly watered. She could've just put them outside for a moment, but I knew she cared too much about them to do that.

The ever-familiar woman sat before the open door, legs tucked beneath her and back facing us. She just watched, focused on the garden outside, primed and kept practically perfect. She always loved this garden, but I knew she missed the one at her family home. Soon, teacher. You'll see it in a few days' time.

"Ms. Aika," The boy in front of me spoke, announcing our presence. 

The woman with long dark grey hair turned just barely and cast her gaze over her shoulder before replying, "Y/n. Daichi."