forty

A/n; I try super hard to try and create a balance between like, Y/n being reasonably still learning, but she's also been training for several more years than Zenitsu and Tanjiro (Inosuke is just Insouke). I hope she doesn't come off as Mary Sueish, but that'll probably get better as I continue. Just a random thought I wanted to share. If you have any constructive criticisms, feel free to leave them so I can work on my writing :))

My sword swiped through the fleshy appendages with ease, one after another bringing them to pieces and executing breathing techniques. The first form, fifth form, and third form - are near constant and one after another.

The walls had shifted to take on a fleshy appearance, and I struggled to stay high on the seats to give myself a swinging room. Standing in the aisle did me no good, so I resorted to balancing and hopping between the backs of seats, dodging passengers to try and make each slash worth it. If I used breathing techniques, it halted their regeneration a tad, allowing me to protect two cars effectively at once - a third maybe, but I was spread thin. Let alone the fact that breathing techniques weren't easy and took a toll on my being.

Seventh Form - Flowing Stanzu River

I hopped along the length of the train car, slicing at each demonic piece in a smooth motion until I landed on the other side of the car, shifting my attention to the other one I had been keeping a careful eye on. They were getting dangerously close and I couldn't risk getting myself caught either.

On my own, I could create no plan. If I left, the passengers were doomed. If I stay, I'd eventually get worn out, die, and the passengers would be doomed. There was no solution that I could enact that would ensure the safety of at least the passengers, so my only option was to rely on my peers and hope something might occur.

There was a sudden boom that reverberated throughout the air. It sounded oddly similar to that of lightning - Zenitsu, maybe? He had said something about learning Thunder Breathing. It explained why I heard it on Mount Natagumo.

So was he awake? But if he was, it sounded like he was busy.

I cut at more appendages, hopping along the seats and continuing to just try and stall until we figured something out. Tanjiro was usually good at figuring these things out, right?

The train car suddenly shook, making me struggle to keep my balance on the back of the seat. I stumbled to the ground, in between two seats by a window. That's when I heard it - the sound of embers sizzling in the air.

In the next moment, a flash of bright light flickered through the train car, leaving a trail of fire in its wake. All the demon parts had effectively been slashed and struggled to regenerate, ends singed and red embers floating back down.

My sword was still gripped in my hand, but the job had been done. The demon wouldn't regenerate for a few more moments, at least. And when I glanced at both neighboring train cars, I noticed they had a similar fate.

"Rengoku," I said to myself, a sudden wave of relief in my chest - until he suddenly appeared in front of me and I flinched in surprise. He still held a bright smile, and I said this time, "Mr. Rengoku!"

"Young L/n!" He called out, but was very quick to get straight to the point, "I'm sending Kamado and the boar head boy to search for the demon's head. There are eight cars on the train - I will protect the rear five, and the yellow boy and Kamado's sister will take the front 3."

"Right," I agreed briskly, "What do you need from me?"

Clearly, Rengoku had everything already planned out as he ordered, "You'll fill in gaps. When anyone struggles or needs extra help, step in. Keep an eye on all auras within the train for anything alarming, and attempt to centralize the passengers so our area of work is lessened."