Chapter 14 (Pic of Akili)

Chapter 14

The next day, in the mountains, Baridi was scolding poor Vitani.

"You are so weak! You almost went with them!" Baridi shouted.

"I did not!" Vitani argued otherwise.

"I know you did. I could see it in your eyes." Baridi retorted, baring her teeth.

Vitani looked away, knowing she was right.

"Vitani, I promised you and your cub safety as long as I have your full loyalty. What you did was not loyal! If you ever pull something like that again, you will be kicked out of the pride, and your cub will stay here!" Baridi warned.

"Yes Baridi." Vitani agreed sadly.

"Get out of my sight." Baridi ordered.

Vitani walked down the path to the valley. She found Azra resting under a tree. She plopped down carefully next to her sister, well step-sister.

"Baridi didn't hurt you, did she?" Azra inquired.

"What? No. She just told me to watch it." Vitani replied, laying her head on her crossed paws.

"I'm sorry about Kijivu." Azra apologized.

"He's gone. It's better for him. I don't want him to be stuck here babysitting a bunch of spoiled cubs." Vitani explained.

"From what I saw, he was the only one without a mate. Nama had one, and her brother had one. Kijivu was alone." Azra pointed out. "At least here, he'd be able to find a mate. A suitable mate." Azra added.

"All of the lionesses are either too old for him, or young cubs." Vitani said, looking at all the cubs. "Besides... he had a beautiful daughter..." Vitani murmured sadly.

"Well what about Giza? She's going to start her training soon, after all." Azra stated, laying her own head on her paws.

"I can't control him, he's almost fully grown." Vitani closed the conversation.

"I can't wait to see my little niece." Azra mused, smiling at Vitani.

"I sure hope it's a girl cub this time." Vitani agreed, looking at her stomach.

"What'll be her name?" Azra pondered.

"Zuri." Vitani answered undoubtedly.

"That's beautiful." Azra countered.

"Thank you." Vitani responded, smiling.

Merely a few days after, Vitani's cub was born. Just as Vitani had hoped, it was a girl, who she named Zuri. All the cubs gathered to meet the newest member of the pride. Asha couldn't understand why her parents hadn't come for her yet. Leah, Lisa, Sefu, Chiku, and Khari were playing tag. Lisa and Sefu tried not to think of their parents, because they trusted Leah. If Leah said that it was okay there, then it must've been.

"Oh Aunt Vitani, she's so cute!" Leah giggled, rubbing her head gently against Zuri's.

"Thank you, Leah." Vitani replied, licking her niece's head.

"Thanks for letting us see her!" Leah said gratefully before most of the cubs scurried off.

Giza, on the other hand, ran to her mother as a stern look was painted over her face.

"Mom!" Giza whined.

"What is it, dear?" Baridi replied with a heavy sigh.

"You promised that there wouldn't be any more cubs!" Giza complained.