Chapter 9 (Pic of Bora and Koda)

Chapter 9

The whole afternoon, Leah wouldn't interact with anyone, and it worried Khari. Khari approached her, eventually over taken by curiosity.

"You alright?" He asked her, sitting next to her.

Leah glared at the cub with amber brown pelt, beige under belly, and a tuff of mane on his head the color of soot. The cub didn't glare at her back, he just looked at her with wonder in his currant orangey red eyes. Leah sighed, rolling her head and looking away. Khari moved closer to her, determined to discover what was wrong with his newly gained "sister".

"Look, I've lost my parents, my sisters and brother, my friends, and my pride in one day. Is there anything left to explain?" Leah finally answered him, sadness and annoyance streaming through her voice.

"I'm really sorry... if I could help you, I would." Khari apologized, looking down sadly as he let guilt flow through his brain.

"You can help me. You can help me escape." Leah replied, trying to get him to help her get home.

They heard a cub clear her throat. Khari turned his head as he shrunk in fear. Leah looked at him oddly. Why is he afraid of her? She asked herself as she looked at Giza.

"Maybe Khari here didn't explain the rules here." Giza hissed, glaring at Khari. "My mother has saved all of your lost butts and the lionesses in this pride have taken you in. If we didn't find you in the river, you'd be dead right now. So, instead of longing for what you lost, be happy with what you have right now, because you are never leaving here." Giza explained. The sternness and pride was clear in her voice.

"Maybe they've lost hope of seeing their families again, but I won't. Our family sticks together no matter what." Leah retorted to the cub with charcoal grey fur and orange eyes the color of an apricot.

"Your parents have forgotten you, so I'd appreciate what you have. My daddy can throw you out of the pride in a flash if I want him to, so you better be nice to me." Giza challenged Leah, baring her cub teeth.

"Well go on ahead and tell your daddy that I'm being mean! If I get kicked out, at least I won't have to deal with brats like you!" Leah shouted back, baring her own teeth.

"What was that?" A lion asked from behind Leah, making the Pridelander cub jump with fear.

Leah warily turned around, aware that she had just gotten herself into trouble. She looked up to see what she assumed to be the king. He had an umber colored pelt and an onyx mane. His eyes stared daggers into Leah's eyes. She could feel herself shaking with fear. She bit down on her tongue, aware if she spoke, he'd probably kill her. He extended his claws from his teak colored paws. He bared his teeth, growling and scaring young Leah half to death. He leaned down his head and picked her up by the scruff. He walked away from his daughter and Khari.

"She's dead." Giza whispered, scared as well.

Giza was all talk and no bite, she never meant for Leah to actually get in trouble. She just liked giving the newer cubs a scare.

"Look what you've done Giza!" Khari shouted at her.

Giza shrunk back in shame.

"I didn't mean anything!" Giza replied, looking down with embarrassment.

"You father is probably going to drown her in the river because of you! You need to go and tell him to stop before I drown you in the river!" Khari warned the princess of the mountains.

Giza knew he was right, but she was terrified to challenge her father like that.

"Go!" Khari yelled.