-12-

-12-

A few hours passed and it was finally time for me and George to leave for the duel. I hadn't seen Dream all day and I figured he was just preparing. George had told me a little bit more about what was going to happen, Wilbur was going to count 10 paces, then Tommy and Dream would shoot and whoever hits their target first, wins. The loser would die and everyone will be there to watch it happen.

Why did Wilbur agree to this? I know it wasn't what he wanted but he's still letting it happen. Letting Tommy get himself killed just for a chance at L'manburg's independence. I couldn't see him get hurt, get killed if the country wasn't even going to be independent after he died. I was going to do something. Stop Dream from hurting him in any way I can. I wasn't sure how I was going to do it, but I was going to do something.

The door opened and Dream walked in. He looked slightly irritated as he walked over to me.

"Get up, we're leaving," He said, as he grabbed my shoulder to pull me up from where I was sitting at my desk.

"Oh- god, ok!" I said as he continued to manhandle me, "Jeez, no need to fucking manhandle me, I can get up." I pushed his hand off my shoulder and started to walk to the door.

Before I could get far, he grabbed my wrists.

"What the f-"

I felt something wrap around my wrists behind my back, binding them together. I twisted my back to see what he had done and saw a thick rope tied tightly around my wrists, keeping them secure behind my back.

"Just a precaution," Dream said with a smirk, "in case you fall out of line."

"Why are you even here, Dream? I thought George was taking me to the duel." I said as I moved around my wrists, trying to adjust to their new positioning.

Dream grabbed my arm and dragged me out the door of my room.

"Change of plans. After the last trick you pulled when he forgot to lock your door, I decided you're better off with me than with him." He said as we walked up the stairs, his hand still tightly wrapped around my arm.

"I told him I wasn't going to try anything, I wasn't lying."

"Yeah? Well, I don't trust you, so you're coming with me, and your hands are staying tied." His grip never faltered on my arm as we walked to the door that led outside.

I rolled my eyes and walked out the door of Dream's base, being greeted by a cool breeze of the late afternoon.

Neither of us said anything on the walk to L'manburg and eventually, he let go of my arm letting me walk.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, we made our way to the wooden path where the duel would take place. The sun was low on the horizon and Tommy and Wilbur were standing next to each other, talking, on the path over the lake. They hadn't seen me or Dream yet, but I could hear what they were saying.

"What happens if I miss, Wil?" Tommy asks his general, worriedly.

The tall brunette looks at the boy in front of him. "Tommy this was your idea. The passion and fire in your heart are brilliant for the war, but it's not good in these situations."

Dream stopped walking, he's probably listening in as a well.

Tommy looks at Wilbur with a grim stare. "Do I shoot him Wil, or do I aim for the skies?"

"Tommy, I want you to do whatever your heart says you should do," Wilbur said, looking down at Tommy.

Tommy nodded and turned his head in my direction, finally seeing me and Dream, who was talking to Sapnap a few meters away.

"y/n! Holy shit, you're here!" He said as he jogged over to where I was standing. "We figured Dream wouldn't let you out,"

He pulled me into a tight hug, and I tried to hug him back, but my hands were bound behind my back.

"Why are your-"

"It doesn't matter, Tommy. You have to win, ok? Do whatever it takes, just do not let Dream hurt you. You can't die for this country. Your life is more important than that." I whispered as I pulled away from the hug.

Dream was out of earshot so I felt completely comfortable telling Tommy everything I had to.

"y/n, I'm not just doing this for L'manburg. It's for you too. I need to help you get away from Dream and the rest of the Dream smp... filth,"

I chuckled dryly but quickly returned to my serious look. "Tommy, I don't care if I am stuck with Dream. I'd be caught dead before I'd let you die to free me. I'd rather see you alive then see myself free."

"I'm doing this, I'm sorry."

I nodded slightly and whispered a quick good luck before he turned around and walked back onto the path. Dream was already standing there, with a smirk plastered on his face, and his mask tilted so that you could just see his upper lip. Everyone else had gathered in the grass around the lake, awaiting the duel.

Dream spoke first.

"Let me just clarify. If you win, we grant you independence, but we still recognize you as part of the Dream SMP. And you will get y/n back."

Tommy and Wilbur nodded.

"And if I win, L'manburg is disbanded and y/n stays with me,"

My stomach twisted at the thought of me being stuck with him forever, but this duel was going to happen, so there was nothing I could do about it.

"Those are fair terms. Shake hands," Wilbur said as he gestured towards the two men on the path.

"Eh... no, not gonna do that," Dream said, backing away from Tommy a step.

Wilbur kept speaking. "Alright, turn your backs to each other, I will count 10 paces. When I have said the word 'fire' you may turn around and fire on each other. Do you understand?"

Tommy and Dream both agreed, then went back to back, each facing a different direction on the path.

"Ready, one."

They each took a step away from each other, bows help tight in their right hands. This was actually happening. One of them would die.

"Two."

My thoughts raced over the possibilities of what was about to go down.

"Three."

Tommy's head dropped and he balled his left hand into a fist. Dream continued to stand tall.

"Four."

Dream was going to win. He knew it. I knew it. Everyone except Tommy knew it.

"Five."

I couldn't let this happen. I couldn't let Dream do this.

"Six."

But what could I do? Wilbur was in the middle of his countdown. It was too late.

"Seven."

My eyes darted between The two men, who were now over 20 feet away from each other. Tommy looked terrified, his eyes were wide and his hands were shaking.

"Eight."

They both drew back their bows and got ready to turn and fire. I had to do something. Dream wasn't that far away from me, every step he took he got closer to me.

"Nine."

I looked at Dream's bow. It was drawn and he was prepared to fire. Then my eyes drifted to his feet. He was on the part of the path that was surrounded by grass and I was less than 10 feet away from him.

"10 paces, fire."

Dream aimed straight at Tommy's head, it was a clear shot that would kill Tommy in an instant. Before he let go of his shot, I was on top of him.

- - -

thanks sm for 3k reads! I was really excited ab this chapter but I don't like it as much as I thought I would :(

its ok tho lmao

words- 1278