-13-

-13-

Dream's shot fired.

I watched the arrow as if it were in slow motion. It zoomed through the sky and buried itself in Tommy's right shoulder, but not in a place where it could kill him.

I saved Tommy.

The arrow had hit him, but not in the head. He could survive.

The shoulder of mine that I had rammed into Dream was falling directly toward the ground, right after Dream.

Dream's back smashed into the ground and I was on top of him, hands still tied behind my back. He looked absolutely furious, pure rage burned into the back of my head as I turned to look back at Tommy.

He slipped into the water, the arrow still in his shoulder. The water was starting to darken around Tommy, his blood being diluted by the dirty lake. I tried to get up to help him, but Dream pulled me back to the ground. He grabbed my tied wrists and got up quickly, pulling me behind him. He pulled me away from where Tommy was now being pulled out of the water by Wilbur. I turned to look back and see Tommy, but he stepped into my view and pressed his hand against the small of my back, pushing me harder now. I stumbled forward, towards the forest where he was leading me, and took a shuddered breath.

"Listen I-" I started, but I didn't get far before he interrupted me.

"Shut up."

My mouth snapped shut. He was... mad. Really mad.

This side of him terrified me, he was serious and he was pissed.

Once we were deep enough into the forest that I could no longer hear or see the L'manburgians, Dream flipped me and slammed me hard against a tree.

The air was knocked out of me as my back hit the tree and I tried to take a deep breath to get air back in but before I could, Dream's hand wrapped around my throat.

His hand held my neck to the tree and he tightened his grip around my throat. I gasped for air, only getting in a few staggered breaths. I struggled and kicked out my legs but that only made him close his hand tighter around my neck. The edges of my vision fuzzed up and I started seeing dark black spots.

"What the fuck was that?" His voice was low and demanding, he wasn't going to give me any slack on this.

I continued to fight to stay awake, every tiny breath I could take was essential.

"I asked you to do one thing: don't pull any shit. And that's exactly what you fucking did. Tommy still lost the duel, you're still coming with me, so you better expect you will suffer the consequences of what just happened. Count yourself lucky I'm even letting you live after that stunt."

His grip loosened just a little, allowing me to breathe while still holding me in place. Dream laughed a little and rolled his neck.

"Why should I even be surprised. Of course, you would try to stop me after you swore you wouldn't try anything. You promised me and you promised George."

There was something more in his voice than just anger. It was like... hurt. Betrayal.

I didn't even think about George. I had promised I would stay in line, and I had broken that promise. George was never going to forgive me. I hated what he stood for, but he was my only friend in the Dream SMP. And I had just betrayed him.

His grip tightened again and I started to go unconscious but I heard one thing first.

"L'manburg can be free and happy. You can't."

And with that, I blacked out.

- - -

I woke up back in my room at Dream's base with an extremely sore throat. Dream must've carried my back into my bed. I sat up and immediately felt pain shoot up the shoulder that I had rammed into Dream. I groaned in pain but most of what came out was just scattered squeaks.

My voice was basically gone from Dream choking me. I let out a hoarse 'ouch' and stood up, walking over to the door of my room.

I took a deep, slightly unsteady breath and pounded my fist on the door.

"Dream!" I screamed, or well screeched, rather.

I stopped pounding to listen for a response, but I heard nothing. I quickly picked my fist back up and went back to hitting my fist against the door.

"Dream!" I shouted again.

This time it was followed by a loud bang and the sound of stumbling footsteps. A few seconds later my door swung open and Dream stomped in. His hair was unruly and he stood more hunched than usual.

"What the fuck do you want? It's the middle of the fucking night." Dream said, slurring his words from drowsiness.

"Yeah, well how the fuck am I supposed to-" I stopped and coughed a little, my throat burning from speaking, "-know that?" I croaked.

"Whatever. What did you want?" He sounded irritated, understandably. I had just woken him up.

"I want to know what happened. To Tommy and the rest of L'manburg." I whispered. My throat was on fire at this point. I rubbed it and felt a sore pain when my fingers made contact with what I could only assume were bruises.

"Yeah well you pissed me off, so you don't get to know." He started to turn back to open the door but stopped for a moment.

"You should sleep more. Rest your throat, it needs it."

"Yeah, and whose fault is that?" I whispered with a small laugh which only caused me more pain. I winced.

He scoffed, back still turned to me.

"Don't test me right now I'm already pissed at you. Don't make it worse."

It was the serious voice again. The scary one.

I backed off and stayed silent as he opened the door and left.

I walked back to my bed with a sigh and started to crawl back under the covers but before I could close my eyes, my door opened again. This time it was George. He didn't move past the door, standing just outside my now swung open door.

"Hey. I- uh- you were banging on the door and it woke me up.I wanted to talk to you but Dream was here so I waited but-" He started, but I interrupted his ramble.

"Listen, George, I'm sorry. I know I promised I wouldn't do anything but I couldn't let him die. Dream was gonna kill him and I-" I whisper shouted at George. I grimaced and I think he noticed. He furrowed his brows and stepped into my room, making his way over to me.

"Your throat. Was that Dream?" He looked at me sympathetically and reached his hand out to touch the bruises, but retracted it quickly.

I nodded and pulled my shirt up to cover the bruises.

He shrugged it off and went back to what he was going to say before he noticed my neck.

"I understand why you did it. It makes... sense. It's just, you had promised me. And I had promised Dream. So when you decided to try to stop him and intervene with the duel it's on me too. I get it, I just don't want to forgive you yet. I'm sorry."

I looked at the ground and buried my face in my hands. Just like I had thought, my only friend couldn't forgive me for betraying him. I don't regret what I did. I had saved Tommy and that was great but we still lost the duel. I lost my L'manburgian friends, my freedom, and now my only ally in this prison.

"I'm gonna go back to sleep, but you should know, Eret wants to talk to you tomorrow. You probably don't want to see him, but I think you should. You guys seem to have... unfinished business."

I didn't respond. He took that as his cue to leave and quietly shut the door behind him.

Tomorrow would be day 1 of forever in this hellhole and I would have to deal with Eret. The traitor, the king, my brother.

The Eret.

- - -

words- 1334