-24-

Wilbur clears his throat once again and looks down at the paper he holds in front of him.

"With nine percent of the votes, in fourth place," the crowd waits quietly, all on the edge of their seats to hear who got last place in the election. "is Coconut2020."

Fundy lets out a loud yell of... joy?

The crowd claps for Fundy and Niki and I can hear Quackity yell something almost inaudible. The pity votes. I chuckle a little at that before looking back at Fundy and Niki to see them jumping up and down in excitement.

I turn and whisper to Sapnap, "They do know that means they got last place right?"

Sapnap just shrugs and I turn my attention back towards the stage.

"Yeah last place!" Niki shouts, hugging Fundy.

"They've got to be joking right?" I whisper to Sapnap again.

He ignores my question, keeping his eyes on the podium.

Bitch.

"Quiet down. Quiet down," Wilbur says to Fundy and Niki. They stop celebrating and he looks back down at his paper, taking a deep breath before continuing. "Next, with sixteen percent of the votes, coming in third place, is Schlatt2020."

Small gasps are heard throughout the crowd and I let out a sigh of relief, even though chances are, he will still win the election with Quackity's votes pooled with his. After a moment, the crowd erupts with claps.

Wilbur continues.

This is the moment. The moment we find out who wins the election, even if it might not be permanent. It all comes down to the percentages.

"Now that leaves the two major frontrunners, Pog2020 and Swag2020. In second place, with thirty percent of the vote," Wilbur takes a long pause, leaving us all in suspense. "Led by... Quackity," Gasps are heard everywhere. "is Swag2020. Meaning the winner of the popular vote, by forty-five percent, is Pog2020. Led by myself"

Loud cheers and celebrations from almost every person in the crowd drown out the last words of Wilbur's sentence, and Tommy and Tubbo are screaming at the top of their lungs at each other. I smile for a moment before thinking everything through.

I do the math as fast as I can in my head. Schlatt got sixteen and Quackity got thirty which gives them... forty-six percent. One more than Wilbur and Tommy.

Oh fuck. 

I turn to look back at Eret, who is hidden in the treeline so that no one will know he is there. He shakes his head at me worriedly and I turn back to the stage to see what Wilbur will say next. 

"Listen, listen. Listen!" Wilbur shouts over the all the screams and cheers. The noise slowly comes to a stop and the attention is turned back to him. "Please stop, please." Wilbur turns to Tommy for a moment, looking regretfully at him. "Tommy, Tommy we won. But listen, please. Please stop celebrating."

Tommy looks at Wilbur, confused.

"We did it, Wil!" He shouts.

I feel a pang of guilt in my stomach, knowing that Wilbur is going to have to break it to him that in reality, they didn't win.

"Tommy, listen."

"We did it!"

"Tommy, calm. I-" Wilbur pauses for a moment, taking a deep inhale and breathing it out sadly. He looks at me for a moment with sad eyes. I shake my head at him sadly and mouth I'm sorry. He frowns at me bittersweetly and I give him a reassuring nod. 

Wilbur looks at Tommy and then back at the crowd, then continues his speech. "A few hours ago, Quackity made a deal with the leader of Schlatt2020, Mr.Jschlatt. Quackity said that no matter what happens he would pool Swag2020 votes with Schlat2020 votes."

Quackity walks over to Schlatt with a wide grin on his face and Schlatt stands up straighter, now joined with Quackity by his side. Gasps are heard all around me and I see Tommy's smile drop into a frown. He looks, wide eyed, at Wilbur and says things that I can't hear to him. Wilbur shakes his head at the boy and goes back to what he was saying. "Pog2020 got forty-five percent of the popular vote, meaning that the coalition government of Schlatt and Swag2020 got forty-six percent of the vote."

I ignore the noise that comes from all around me, everyone shocked about how close the votes were, and continue to listen to Wilbur's voice booming through the microphone. 

Quackity bursts into a high-pitched laugh while Schlatt's deep one bellows through the crowd. Some people cheer for their victory while others boo and yell in protest. Sapnap just looks shocked. 

I try to look around and find Dream but he is nowhere to be seen, apparently hidden enough so that even I can't find him. 

"Tonight, ladies and gentlemen, on Tuesday, the 22nd of September, 2020, JSchlatt has been inaugurated as the president of L'manburg with Quackity as his vice president."

Schlatt's low laugh quickly turns into a maniacal one. It was terrifying. High pitched, fast, evil

"Oh my god, it was too easy." He says from behind Wilbur, his voice raspy and still laughing.

"By one percent of the vote!" Wilbur shouts. "Schlatt and Quackity have been elected as the president and vice president of this country. Mr... Mr. Schlatt... I want- I want to say it was an honor competing against you but well-" Wilbur pauses for a moment. "Come take your place at the podium."

Wilbur and the other candidates walk off stage and make their way into the audience but Tommy stays up there, still in shock about what he just heard from his friend.

"Wha- What?" The blonde stutters. "Are you sure, Wil? By one percent?"

"Tommy," Schlatt says, not letting Wilbur respond. His voice is low and commanding. "Get off my podium."

Tommy silently makes his way off stage and sits near me with Wilbur. I can hear them talking to each other despite the distance.

"Tommy we need to listen to him, we're citizens now."

Tommy nods sadly and looks up at the new president and his right hand man, now up at the podium.

"Take it home. Take it home," Quackity shouts at Schlatt excitedly.

"Well," Schlatt smirks. "That was pretty easy."

---

sorry for the short chap lol. trying to get back on that writing grind and update consistently again tho. chapters like this are so hard to write because I have to go back and watch old wilbur videos to figure out the exact dialogue cuz I want it to be authentic

words- 1097