Chapter Eighteen

Fahad's POV:

"Is h-he really back?" She looked terrified and it broke my heart to see her like this. I know I wanted a reaction but the tremble in her voice and the panic in her eyes made me think otherwise. Fuck, I just wanted to protect her. I wish it was a lie but that piece of shit had actually recovered from the concussion. I should have broken a couple more bones.

A part of me wanted to hug her but knowing her iciness, I knew she would push me away in seconds so I decided to settle for the second best option. I carefully draped my arm over her shoulder and held her calmly. She didn't struggle but just looked at me with a terrorised expression.

"Zohaib is back but don't forget I never left either. I will protect you. You just need to trust me a little." Initially I had wanted to scare her into submission, nothing caused a reaction in her apart from the mention of that piece of shit but seeing her like this now, I really wanted to change that. I didn't like the fear she showed me. I was sure Haider hadn't picked up on it cause she looked like she was trying her best not to show her weakness but I had known her long enough to pick up on the little changes.

Haider was silently observing us. His eyes had focused on my hand that was on Rubab's shoulder for a while before his eyes met mine again. He gave me a calm understanding smile which was a surprise. He didn't look like he hated what he was seeing but then again I did tell him I was Rubab's fiancee. He didn't really have the excuse to complain or have beef with me. What was he going to do? Try to break us apart? Good fucking luck with that. I will rip his nails out. It was cool that he was acting chill and all but can he leave us alone? Can't he see that just for once, I was actually having a moment with her?

I was sure, Rubab was going to kill me for what I was doing now but for now, I just enjoyed the way she leaned into me slightly. I didn't know what she was thinking but I could figure that part out later too. Her shoulder fit perfectly right with the edges of my fingers. It was like it was meant to be there. We sat like that for a while so she could calm down and her reply instantly made me chuckle.

"How long are you planning to cling to me?" Rubab whispered and a part of me was glad that she was back to her icy facade. I immediately let go as I grinned at her. Haider had been creepily observing us as well.

"As long as you are fine now. You should play along as my fiancee, love. There is no telling whether Zohaib's men could be following you around." I whispered and she turned stiff again but I squeezed her hand on the table tightly to calm her down again. She gave me a narrow eyed look before turning to Haider.

"Well, Rubab you never told me you had a fiancee." I knew this piece of shit was going to say something. He looked like he had been planning his reply for a while. It took him this long to come up with this? Rubab threw a glare in my direction but I just smirked as I turned to Haider.

"Oh, you know. We kept it rather lowkey till our nikkah. You know cause of the whole nazar thing." Rubab gaped at my reply but decided to leave me be. But not for long.

"How ironic to hear the word 'nazar' come out of your mouth." Rubab smiled at me but I knew all too well that it was a patronizing one. How amusing though. The queen had regained her composure. She was so attractive, damn it.

"With a face like yours and a love like ours, people are bound to look at us with envy. Isn't that right Haider?" I turned to Haider who seemed taken aback at my words. The fact that he wasn't even looking at me pissed me off cause his attention was on all Rubab. What the fuck man? That's my fiancee he was staring at. Sure, it was fake but he didn't know that.

"Oh yeah, I guess you are right." He muttered while still looking at Rubab who was looking back at him with a soft expression. A part of me had wanted to rip that expression of her face. Screw that. All of me wanted her to look at me.

"So, how long are you planning to stick around here?" That caused Rubab to look at me in shock. Yes, I can be shameless but I didn't really care. I wasn't finished with Haider. "Yeah, you-Ow!" Rubab stubbed the tip of her heel on my foot causing me to groan and turn to her. She just gave me a blank face. Oh she doesn't want me to do this, huh? Only makes me want to do it more. I smirked causing her to grimace.

"Uh, yeah, I do actually have to go. I have this case study presentation tomorrow that I need to start working on." Haider said as he clicked his fingers to call the waiter. Fucking finally. "Please bring the bill."

"Oh, you don't need to pay the bill. It's on me." I grinned at him smugly. The sooner he leaves the better. "Good luck on your case study, Haseeb."

"It's Haider and that doesn't sit well with me." Is he stalling? He didn't look like he wanted to leave.

"Oh yeah, same thing. Don't worry, consider it a treat from the happy couple." I gave him a condescending smile that didn't reach my eyes. If this had been Ibraheem or Kamran, they would have beaten him up by now. But I had my own tactics. Rubab wasn't mine entirely yet. I couldn't impose my choices on her. I did have a plan in mind though.

"It's fine, Haider. My fiancee will handle it." Rubab's statement caused me to snap my head in her direction. What was she up to now? She gripped my arm causing my heart beat to spike. "We should meet up again sometime when both of us free from our exams. I am sure Fahad won't mind. He is liberal minded like that. Isn't that right, jaan?"

Jaan? Did I hear that right? Jaan. Jaan as in life? What was she scheming? I looked at her expressionless face and gulped. Aik tou is aurat ki samajh nahi ati mujhe. (I can't understand this woman at all at times.)

Haider didn't wait for my reply as he nodded and thanked us before leaving. Once he was out of sight, Rubab immediately let go of my arm and got up. I grabbed her wrist on reflex.

"Where are you going?" Was she bailing on me already? Was she that reluctant to be in my presence?

"Relax, I am just sitting infront of you. It's hard to see your face when we stick like this. Plus, it is weird for onlookers." Rubab explained and I reluctantly let go of her wrist. I wanted her to sit beside me but as long as she doesn't leave, I am good. There will come a time when she clings to me willingly. Once she was seated before me, she looked at me intently and I returned her stare. "So what are you planning to do?"

"Well, I want to order a Polo Chicken with a mint margarita. What about you?" I skimmed the menu. The brownie with ice cream seemed promising too. I knew Rubab already ate with him but I wanted her to enjoy food with me too.

"Not food, Fahad. I was talking about Zohaib. What are we going to do?" I sensed the fear in her voice although she looked like she was trying her best to control her facial expressions but she was only human.

"Well, I know he is up to something. Knowing Zohaib, the man is like a leech. He is going to stick around until he is sure you and your family are exhausted. He is ruthless in a way. Making the other person beg for mercy." Rubab didn't bother hiding her expression now. She looked genuinely terrified as she bit hard on her lower lip in anxiety. She was going to bleed if she kept that up. I placed my hand on her hand to give her assurance. "Don't worry, I have a plan but I don't know if you will like it but it has a 100% success rate."

"It will rid me of Zohaib for good?" Rubab looked hopeful but I didn't know if she would look the same after she hears my plan. It wasn't something she could exactly work with.

"Yes. But I don't know if-" I shrugged my shoulders to reiterate my point. She had to know that I was reluctant for this too. Which was a lie but she didn't need to know that.

"What is it, Fahad?" She looked at me eagerly. I felt a smile creep up on my face but I couldn't show her the victory in my eyes. The thrill of making her mine. I can't show it yet. I had to be neutral. I had to play it safe. This needed to work. There wasn't any place for a screw up. "Tell me already."

"The only way Zohaib will leave you alone is," I was hesitant as I tried my best to keep my face straight. "if we get married. We should sign a nikkah-nama."

And that was the first time I had seen the full spectrum of Rubab's expressions.

Author's Note:

Hello and Asalam o Alaikum Lovelies!

I hope everyone is well and safe. So how did you like the chapter? Are we surprised at Fahad's master plan or what? I know I am.

What do you think Rubab will do?