Chapter Fifty Nine

Zoya's POV:

I was scared he wouldn't believe it but his eyes only showed recognition and understanding. As if he had processed each word but the weight of it was only just settling in his mind.

I watched as his calm facade crumbled before my eyes. In all the years I had seen and known him, this was the most raw version of him I had seen. I stood there, frozen in the face of Kamran's shocking revelation. His entire life, everything he held dear or believed in was tumbling down before my eyes. He was breaking apart. He held his head as he let out a scream that sounded much like a pained and strangled roar.

The news of his sister's apparent death had probably haunted him for fourteen long years. I don't know if he had made peace with it or not. But now, the revelation that she was alive, coupled with Wassal's betrayal, was just something he couldn't process.

His hands were trembling, in fact his entire body was vibrating. Gasping breaths tore through him, as if trying to outrun the avalanche of emotions crashing over him. Shit. This was the start of a panic attack. He fell to his knees and tears spilled from his eyes. There was betrayal, sorrow, shock, and a flicker of happiness at the thought of Kainat being alive.

I moved closer, every step hesitant, afraid to trigger him or become a victim caught in the cross fire of his messed up emotions. I was scared he might lift a hand against me without realising it but I wanted to trust him. He wouldn't do that. The Sher from my memories and the Sher who stood before me had not changed at all.

He had only gotten more charming, more regal, more wild. Like a true lion in all his glory.

"Kamran," I murmured, my voice was a whisper amidst the chaos that engulfed us. He looked at me. His gaze that was a mixture of despair and disbelief met mine. His lips parted, but no words emerged. I reached out, encircling him in my arms, hoping to provide even a fraction of consolation in this situation. "I am so sorry for telling you like this."

To my surprise, he clung to me, seeking refuge in my arms. I held him close, feeling the tremors wrack his body, my heart aching in unison with his pain. I had to stay strong right now. For him. And yet, the tears rolled down my eyes dripping on his shoulder.

"It's okay, Sher," I whispered, my voice quivering with the weight of emotions. "I'm here. Take your time."

Time seemed to halt, our breaths were the only sound I could hear. Gradually, he calmed down, the tremors in his body stopped, but the pain and shock on his face remained.

"Is Kainat really alive?" He looked at me, his hands were holding my shoulders as if to steady himself. His eyes had the smallest hint of hope. It was like finding a distant star on a dark, gloomy night.

"I don't know, I really don't," I patted his back like a little child. "That day, we promised to meet at the sea so I waited for you there. I thought I heard a scream so I went to the nearby warehouse thinking it was a kitten or something that needed help. He, I mean Wassal, was talking to a girl there. She had the prettiest brown locks and sparking eyes. Wassal was threatening her, telling her that she shouldn't have left him. He had a gun. I screamed and he saw me. He recognised me as Anushay. That is all I remember. I don't know what happened to her or me."

The words felt like a weight lifting from my chest and constricting my throat. With every word, it got harder to speak.

"When I woke up next time at the hospital, I had no memories of you, that girl or Wassal. I remembered my family but most of my memories of Karachi were gone. The doctor diagnosed it as repressed memories as a result of witnessing traumatic events." I continued to explain. "I was sent abroad to complete my primary schooling. It was a precautionary measure. I was told that there were people from Karachi trying to assassinate our family since dad was a judge. My name was also changed for this reason. Once I was a little older. I was told that they were actually after me."