Chapter Forty Five

Zoya's POV:

I instinctively took a step back. He looked around the room and then took a step inside and closed the door behind me. He was expressionless and this was terrifying. I couldn't find my voice. He found me too soon. If he had been a few hours late, I could have gotten away.

The moment the door clicked shut, all hopes of escaping this nightmare once and for all disappeared like a click. I didn't know what to say. I was truly at a loss for words. I didn't know what was going through his head either. Anything could trigger him. Or more like, he was already triggered, he was going to blow up any minute now. Should I step back for damage control?

He brought his right hand forward and I recoiled a little. He won't hit me, would he? I don't think I have ever seen him this angry.

"Zoya, men ap par kabhi hath nahi uthaounga. Na kisi aur ko ap par haath uthane dunga. (Zoya, I won't ever raise my hand against you, nor will I let anyone hurt you either.)" His voice ripped through the heavy silence as he placed a rough hand against my cheek and caressed it. Well, this was unexpected. I swallowed the pool of spit that had gathered at the back of my throat. I still couldn't find words to say.

Kamran was about to say something until the door knocked and his hand went to his waist band on reflex. This psycho. He bought a gun with him? How did security even let him in? Never mind this is Kamran we are talking about.

I heard Rafay's soothing voice and hyper focused on the door until I heard a very unfamiliar sound. Something I didn't think I could ever hear from the man standing before me.

Kamran Khan Narejo had just laughed. But it wasn't a cute laugh. He gripped the pistol in his hand as he cracked his neck from left to right. I knew that stance. I knew what he meant. I had seen it in movies, I had seen my cousins do it. Rafay was in deep trouble.

"Let me sort that out before we can talk about just why you abandoned me and tried to run again." His words were crisp, they stung until he turned around and took one step towards the door. I heard the sound of the safety lock going off. Uh-oh.

What do I do? How do I stop him? Should I hit the back of his head with the lamp? I eyed the fancy crystal lamp on the side. Given that he is made of stones, the lamp will break before anything happens to him. Should I just save myself and jump out of the window? No, Kamran isn't going to spare Rafay. I just know it. I can see it in his charcoal eyes. Kamran had already made it to the door. Damn it.

I knew I was going to regret this a little too much. I leaped forward just as his hand touched the door knob. I wrapped my hands around his waist and just stilled. Stilled like a statue. I felt Kamran jolt under my touch. He let out a large exhale of air as he looked down at my crossed hands.

"Zoya, what are you doing?" I don't know what I am doing either Sher, please don't ask me. My brain has shutdown entirely. Give it a few minutes to reboot. "If you think doing this is going to save the man outside, you are wrong. Let go so-"

Okay, I had to say something. What do I do? What can I do? Oh man, this is going to haunt me forever.

"Sher," I whispered in my gentlest voice and I swear he shudder at the word, "Kya meri itni kadar kaam hogayi hai ke ab apko mere yeh karne se bhi kuch nahi hota? (Has my importance decreased so much that even if I do this, you feel nothing?)" I felt bad for emotionally manipulating him right now but this was for a greater cause.

"Your importance for me will never decrease. You have always been my favourite person. That will never change." Kamran replied in a calmer tone and I internally sighed in relief. Okay, so far so good.

"Then why doesn't it feel that way right now?" I slowly let go of him and took a step back. He turned around to look at me. Cry, Zoya, bring out the damn tears. Think of sad things. Quick. I felt my eyes well up.

"You left me. No explanation. No nothing. What did you think I would do?" Well, shit. How do I answer that? Suddenly my eyes felt drier than the Sahara.

"I am sorry, we can talk about this. So let him go, yeah?" For some reason, that had the opposite effect. Kamran gave that dry laugh again as he immediately took out his pistol and twisted the door knob.

"Even now, you care more about your friend outside than me, why?" Rafay stood on the other side of the door with an oblivious aura.

"Kamran, if you hurt him, I am never going to talk to you again." I whisper yelled and Kamran scoffed. Yes, the man scoffed.

"Not like you were talking to me before." Is he being sassy with me right now? Rafay looked between the two of us. It took him a few seconds until realisation dawned on him.

"You must be Zoya's cousin." Oh right, I had told him that Saad might make time to visit me today. Little did he know, Saad had bailed and said he would just show up at the airport. Before Kamran could let out some absurd statement, I grabbed his hand that was about to take out the gun to shoot Rafay at point blank.

"Yes, this is my favourite cousin. Rafay, can we talk in a few minutes?" I gave him a pleading smile that I was hoping he could understand.

"Oh yeah, sure. I just wanted to ask you if you wanted lunch in your room or would you be coming to the hall to eat?"

"I will let you know in a bit." I gave him a weak smile and immediately shut the door on his face. Kamran hadn't said the word in this entire exchange. I knew he could easily overpower me and shoot him if he wanted to but somehow he decided against it.

"Aren't you a little too good at handling men?" Kamran narrowed his eyes at me as he looked down at his hand that I was holding a little too tightly. Why is this man so bitter today? "I am not letting him off by the way, you can touch me all you want. It is just a temporary blockade."

"Kamran, listen," I sighed as I let go of his hand to back off slightly. The lamp idea was starting to look very promising right about now.

"Call me Sher or I won't listen to you."

"Alright okay, sheesh, Sher, will you just listen to me?" I was starting to get impatient.

"Don't try to convince me to let that guy go." Kamran crossed his arms over his chest. He had gotten hotter. How was this fair? How dare he looked drop dead gorgeous in a plain black fitted tshirt with black pants? I snapped out of my admiration as I looked back at his face.

"Forget him for a minute." I had to say something to make sure Kamran doesn't go back to hunt Rafay down. There was only one thing I could think of. "I am curious, did you really like it more when I tied my hair in a ponytail?"

His expression was priceless. From confusion to suspicion to absolute shock. It all happened in a few seconds.

"I could see your eyes clearly if you had your hair tied back. But, you really remember?" Kamran took a step towards me. His guard was down right now.

"All of it."

Author's POV:

Hello and Asalam o Alaikum Lovelies!

I am finally back on instagram again from the username @asfarnoor so do add me up there. I won't be able to post as much as before but I shall try.