By The Ink On This Paper - Karim Benzema

Oh my, I might have gone slightly over the top with this one shot haha, it's kind of different from anything I wrote before, you'll see, hope you like it!

Requested by the lovely Tiare, again so sorry it took me so long ugh I say that all the time but I tried my best I promise

Inspired by the song 'Fires' by David Ramirez (it's on the side, or the top if you're on your phone)

Also dedicated to VeeT for inspiring me with some of her incredible writing

________________________________________

Dear Karim,

Today is my last day to stand before you, and on this occasion, I would like to say all that I've been too coward to say. You know I've never been that good with spoken words, so hopefully my writing will be the voice that reaches out to you. And I swear, by the ink on this paper, that all I will say will be the whole truth, the deepest and realest of truth. I won't neglect anything or any aspect of my thoughts at all, because I know you deserve as much.

Firstly, I would like to say that my love for you has done nothing but grow from the moment I first laid eyes on you. I have loved you as you ventured on in life, and I have loved you in the days that you stood along my side. If today is our last day together, these are the words I want you to remember the most.

Yesterday a friend that I hadn't seen in a long time asked me what I saw when I looked at the man I've been with for the past 4 years.

Her question was truly an eye opener. I think it is what triggered me to lay down all the words you're about to read because deep down I know my life is taking a turn I never thought it would take.

I remember how simple she thought my answer would be. Perhaps she thought I'd say something like "a beautiful soul" or "my future husband" or some other ordinary thing, some answer most people would usually reply back with.

But you see, when I look at you, it's just not that simple.

What do I see when I look at you?

I see the mornings waking up next to you. I see your arms wrapped around me on cold nights with our legs tangled together under the white sheets. I see our city light-filled, car rides and your hand holding onto mine.

I see your kisses; I swear they still leave me breathless. Especially the kisses when the smile on my lips allowed you to taste a glimpse of my happiness.

I see our fights; you know the meaningless, bullshit fights, the ones you regret as your still halfway through them.

I see our late night conversations, when you felt like you could tell me everything: what you feared the most, what you wanted from life, what you pictured your life to be and how different it is from what your life is right now.

I see love, I see happiness, I see effortless beauty and I see something just so, so wholesome.

I think what shocked Melissa the most, after telling her what I saw when I looked at you, is that I ended it with:

"This is what I see when I look at him but the saddest part of it all, is that he sees nothing when he looks at me. He used to; I swear he used to look at me like tomorrow wouldn't be tomorrow if I wasn't along his side. But love dies and people change and although he doesn't love me like he once did...I will always look at him like home."

I know I used to be the person you couldn't stop thinking of, the person you wanted to hold every minute of every day. You would text me you missed me as soon as you landed in another country for an away game. Or you would text me in the middle of the night and say you wished I was there to hold.