Chapter Forty Seven

It's my birthday!! The best gift you can give is vote on this book, comment like crazy and share! You can also ask for my account number 😉 God knows I need money.

Mature content ahead.

***

I enjoy doing a lot of things but among  the things I don't like doing is sitting down at a board meeting and listening to people talk non stop about business strategies and who to publish next.

It's something that concerns me but right now, it's the least of things on my mind.

"Victoria what do you think?" I heard my father ask me and I whipped my head up to meet his gaze and that of everyone else in the room.

"Uhhm," I looked at Jeanine, the woman that was presenting and I tried to figure what my dad was asking me.

"What do you think of Jeanine's proposal? Is Westley Nigeria an idea worth investing in?" Dad spoke and I slowly started to remember.

"Right," I sat up straighter. "I think it's a great idea."

"How so?" An unfamiliar voice said from opposite me on the table.

I looked at the man, his face I vaguely recall as Mister Tobiloba. He's one of the president's and whatnot. From what I've gathered, he doesn't really like me.

He was a balding man with a huge stature and a voice deep enough to scare anyone but I wasn't moved by his intimidating skills. I think his beef is the fact that a young 'unexperienced' woman is going to be taking over Westley Black Publications someday.

It's people like him that makes me want to work twice harder so one day they won't spit in my father's face for making a decision to hand over the company to me.

I cleared my throat, "people like hearing what they want to hear so you give them what they want. Like Jeanine said, the latest celebrity gossip, the latest trend, the latest fashion and all of that. If you do that you'd make a great market."

"And how do you know we'll make a great market by just telling people of the latest gossip in Nigeria?" He fired back.

I heard a series of groans and whispers in the room. At this point it's obvious this man just wants to rile me up.

"It's the twenty first century, people like getting entertained what best than what Davido did to Wizkid or who is Burnaboy's next baby mama or what Tacha wore to a party. Come on, don't be old." The snickers and chuckles in the room couldn't be hidden. "Also it won't be only gossip and trends, lifestyle and fashion is basically what Westley magazine is all about so you give them that. Girls want what best tea to drink to slim down? Tell them about it. What new shoes are reigning? Give them that, it's still all about the fashion and lifestyle. The gossips and latest trend would just be a way to get people to buy, even if they don't read everything but you've made your money."

The man was obviously angry, the veins on his temple ready to burst but he kept quiet. People started clapping, agreeing with what I had said and dad had to hit his hand on the table a few times to get them to quiet down.

"Thank you Victoria, Westley Nigeria would be put into consideration." He sent a swift nod my way. "Now, this writer, Evelyn Chinedu you said."

"Right," I stretched the file towards him. "She already has a wide range of internet readers and for a reader myself, I know good content when I see it and I tell you, she's going to sell."

Dad's forehead creased as he looked through the file. He closed it. "You have a point but that isn't enough guarantee to sell."

I sighed, "making the book available in as many regions as possible and as cheap as it can get. How do you think Chimamanda sells?"