Chapter Thirty Eight

Double update make sure you read 37 before this

***

We all got posted to Delta State, all except James and Maya. They got posted to Edo State.

Camping was fun and hard. With the soldiers everywhere, rules to obey, I felt like I was still a child always being monitored and told what to do.

My roommates were cool so I didn't have issues. After the three long weeks, we were assigned to our various schools.

Adrian and I got a school in Asaba, while Funke and Drew were posted to Warri, though different schools but really close by.

I was to teach Literature at the school and Adrian was teaching Cultural and Creative Arts, the theater aspects. Funke was teaching French and Drew was teaching Literature like me.

We call once in a while and during a few weekends we meets and hang out. It hasn't been bad so far, the students love us, well Adrian mostly, the female population seem to be crushing on him while most of the make population had tried to ask me out.

Since we were only four Corpers sent to the school, and the other two didn't spark people's interests like Adrian and I, the entire student population just won't stop talking about us. It's been five months now and the buzz still hasn't died. We had even gone on vacation and back and it still goes on.

I won't lie I miss Andrew so much but I'm trying so hard not to show it. No matter how much I try, I think about him every day. We call and text once in a while, checking up on each other.

He doesn't bring us in a relationship up anymore, we're just two childhood friends again.

My life after serving is sure, I'm going to be working at my parents company, learning to take over it one day.

I never understood why my parents would want me, the younger child to take over the company. Though Ana is running things in Chicago, once my parents see me fit to take over she steps down and I take over.

The plan is for her to assist me with the branch here in Nigeria while having my mum's fashion thing going, I guess she inherited the fashion genes.

The same goes for Andrew, Grace us running things in Chicago and later they're going to swap.

I don't really care much anyways, my life has been laid out for me since day one and I've come to live with it so I'm cool.

"You're not listening to me are you?" A voice said from beside me snapping me back to reality.

I turned to see Elvis, the fine arts teacher here sitting beside me.

"Shit, sorry I zoned out." I gave him an apologetic smile.

He smiled but it didn't reach his eyes. "You know what, how about we pick this up later, I have a class soon."

"Sure," I nodded and watched him go.

I looked at the empty staff room, though it was just Adrian, me and the music teacher that was in this room.

As if on cue Adrian walked in, a textbook in his hand, he just finished a class.

"Hey," I said, gathering my own books for my next class which should start any time soon.

"Hey, I just saw Elvis leaving, is he bugging you?" He pointed to the door.

I laughed, "chill Adrian, not every guy is trying to ask me out."

Since we started teaching here, Adrian believes that every single male teacher here is trying to ask me out and no matter how hard I try he won't stop that idea.

"You're just too naive to see it," Adrian walked towards my table and rested his weight on it.

"I'm not naive Adrian," I rolled my eyes and stood up.

"Who's naive?" The voice of Jennifer, the music teacher spoke as she walked into the office.

"Riya. Please tell her that every single male teacher here has their eyes on her." Adrian said pointing to me.

"You're really naive not to see that Riya. You're the hot cake around here." She winked.

"I'm the hot cake?" I scoffed, "did you forget Adrian or what?" I teased.

Jenn laughed and I used that as my cue to leave the office with a smile on my face too. Adrian's face was all red.

As I stepped into the hallways, the bell rang making me to hasten my steps. A minute after I was inside my assigned class.

"Good afternoon ma," the entire class of just ten students said in unison.

"Good afternoon, how's it going?" I sat on the chair waiting for me.

"It's going well," Ike (eye-k) the class captain said.

"Excellent," I stood up, taking the white board marker with me. I wrote Lit. on the board and closed the marker. "Today we're going to talk about some literally terms." I started, watching the students.

To my surprise all of them were paying attention today and not looking at my body, maybe it's because this is a topic I hadn't yet gone through with them.

Sapphire, a girl seated at the front seat rose her hand. I nodded for her to speak. "Irony," her small voice came out.

"Thanks Saph. Who can tell me what Irony is?" I looked around the class.

David who was sittingting at the second row, which could also be the back of the class rose his hand and I signalled for him to speak.

"Irony is when you say something but mean the opposite," he started, his deep voice reverberating through the class. "For example, you look very ugly today."

I threw my marker at him and rolled my eyes causing everyone in the class to errupt in laughter and some guys to whistle. He caught the marker and threw it back to me and I caught it with ease.

"Thank you David, now anyone with a more normal example?" I played with the marker in my hand.

"Mr Parker hates you so much," Esiri that was sitting beside David spoke.

Voices followed as the students talked.

I laughed, throwing my head back, "what are you trying to say? Of course Mr Parker loves me, but as a friend."

"We see the way he looks at you," David said.

I perched on a desk, "what way?"

"Like he's in love with you," Sapphire said.

"You kids are funny. Trust me when I say, Adrian is not in love with me. We're best friends and that's that." I sat up straighter.

"We don't believe you!" David disagreed loudly.

Words of disagreement rang throughout the class and it took a while for me to get the students to calm down before we could go back to the work of the day.

I knew no matter how much I told them Adrian and I are just friends, they'd never believe so I just shushed them and went back to teaching.

At the end of the class, which was my last class of the day, Funke, Adrian, Andrew and I talked over a video call.

They weren't doing bad at all and we shared experiences of our lives teaching. When I told them what happened in class, they all laughed at me and made fun of Adrian and I.

At the end of the school day and when we were free to go, Adrian and I went out to see a movie which was of course his treat.