Chapter Forty

Ever since I could speak and understand English, my parents drilled into my head that I was going to take over their company one day so going on an official tour of the lagos branch was something I had expected and was waiting for.

This was one of the times you would see my parents so uptight and official, no goofiness or silly jokes, it was pure business.

The air in the elevator was neutral though as six of us made it to the top floor to get to my office. I was with Josie, Ana, Jess, my mum and dad though Jess was making a fuss and squealing non stop.

Babies.

Ana and Josie were here for moral support also the fact that when I finally take over, they would reallocate to Nigeria while I go back to the Chicago office and run things from there so they had to get used to this environment.

The elevator finally stopped and the door opened. I sighed and stepped out along with everyone else.

This floor was bustling with life, people going in and out of offices, phone calls being made, bosses sending their secretaries everywhere.

People who were attentive sent us waves and greetings as we walked through the floor to where I'm supposing is my office. We passed both mum and dad's office before finally coming to a halt.

The sign on the door read: 'Fictional Editor: Victoria Black'

"Nice," I commented, stepping forward and pushing the door open.

The first thing I noticed was the amazing view. There was a floor to ceiling glass window just behind my desk and chair which was directly facing the door.

There was a floor to ceiling bookshelve to the right which was of course filled with books, probably all the fictional books this company had ever published. A drawer and what I'm guessing is a coffee maker.

To the left was a conference desk with chairs which can contain twelve persons. A white board maker with the projector to the side. In front of my desk and chair there were two couches facing each other and two beanbags too, a coffee table in the middle.

I walked to the chair and sat on it. I sank into it and sighed, it was comfortable. I spun around on the chair while laughing. The desk had a computer and other office essentials.

"You like it?" Dad asked, a huge smile on his face.

"I love it," I answered with a smile too.

"This is the best part." Dad took what was obviously a remote on the desk and pressed a button.

Where there was a conference room, a wooden wall slowly started gliding from the side, creating a demarcation between the office and the conference room.

"Wow," I stood up when the wall closed completely and walked to the wall.

"And it's sound proof," Dad walked to the wall too. There was a door carved into it so he twisted the knob and opened the door.

"I love this," I beamed looking into the now separated conference room.

"This is so better than my office," Ana rolled her eyes.

"I wish this was my office," Josie piped in from where he was standing by the shelve. "But why fictional editor? I thought she's going to take over some day?"

"She has to work her way up there, she can't just start working at the top like that," Dad explained.

When I had asked him the same question, he gave me the same answer and it made sense, I have to prove that I'm really capable of taking over some day.