Chapter Twenty

Adrian in the media

***

Andrew's POV

My mother being the American of the house always asked me if I had a girlfriend. At that time Riya and I were still dating I told her and she would give me advice once in a while. When we broke up and she told me that she talked to Riya, I was expecting her to call me out on my bullshit but she didn't, she only told me to make sure Riya and I get back together because she wanted pretty grandchildren.

Now hearing her ask me if Riya and I were together I nearly choked on the water I was drinking.

I'm sure my brother knows exactly how I feel at the moment because I could hear him coughing in the background.

"Yes Andrew, answer the question," my sister piped in.

She just got back from Chicago sometime last week and I'm sure just like Ana, Riya's sister she was going to stay for a month or so. I don't blame her though, those two are like two peas in a pod. Though Ana was married and my sister wasn't they still mingled well.

"Shut up Grace," I gritted my teeth. "Mum, nothing is going on between Riya and I, now."

"Alright son," my mum answered shocking the hell out of me. I was expecting her to press the issue.

We talked a little more, and she handed the phone to my brother Michael.

"Drew how do I get a girl to like me?" Was the first question he asked.

I was slightly shocked at his words, "you have a crush?" I fought the urge not to laugh. This was serious for him.

"Yes, aren't I allowed to have one, after all you and Victoria were dating while in high school," he sounded a bit defensive.

"Yo, chill there bro," I chuckled. "Alright, what's her name?"

"Destiny, she has this really beautiful brown eyes and she looks so cute when she wears her glasses. He hair is really soft and long and it smells so good. She smells so good," he sounded almost dreamy.

"You know what her hair smells like?" I was shocked but I found myself comparing him to myself.

This was how I was all over Riya years ago, I used to talk to my sister about her just like my brother is talking to me about Destiny. Victoria was and is the only thing I ever knew to talk about.

"Of course I know what her hair smells like, she sits in front of me in class." He pointed out.

I laughed, "so you guys talk often or what?"

"Once in a while, but not real conversations. They're more like, 'can I quickly use your English textbook' or 'can I borrow your pen' nothing serious. I don't think she even knows my name." He ranted.

"Okay, you have a long way to go. What does she like doing, any habit?" I asked.

"Well she likes sitting at the bleachers on the football field every Wednesday to eat her lunch alone," he answered.

"That's where you go in. Walk up to her one Wednesday during lunch and just talk to her," I was a bit horrible at this.

"What do I say to her?" He sounded exhausted. I would be if I were him.

I racked my brain for something, "point out how beautiful the school field looks from where you are seated, that's a start." I shrugged, "she'll recognize you as the guy who sits behind her in class, don't be surprised if she knows your name. Then point out the fact that she always seats there every Wednesday at lunch, that way she'll know you notice her. But don't be too straight about it, you don't want to come off as a stalker."

"I stalk her, literally," he deadpanned.

"She doesn't need to know that," I told him.

"How did you get Riya to like you?" He asked.

I smiled at the memory, "that'll be a story for another day, I have to go now. We'll talk later." I hung up.

I rested my backpack on my shoulder and headed out. The drive to James's wasn't that long. I honked my horn twice and waited for him.

Shortly after he was inside my car, bucking his seatbelt, "how far."

"Good," I gave him a quick glance before shifting gears and hitting the gas.

He had bags under his eyes and his face looks swollen from obvious lack of sleep. I've known James for four years and sleep is something he doesn't joke with, even if he doesn't sleep at night, he finds a way to make up for it during the day and presently, we had a lot of free time on our hands to sleep.

"Is everything alright?" I turned to Victoria and I's street.

He sighed, "no."

As expected, "what's wrong?"

"It's Maya," he face palmed his face.

"Maya?" Him and Maya have issues all the time but they handle it even before we get to know that much about it. I've never seen him this miserable over Maya.

"Yes. Her parents don't approve of me and it seems like she isn't fighting for us. They are her parents, there has to be a way for her to convince them to like me, even if it's a little," his voice was almost breaking.

I feel like I'm now a relationship expert.

When they started dating over a year ago, we all knew that they were made for each other. Now hearing that her parents don't approve of them, it's heart breaking. "Why don't they like you, what's in you not to like?"

"Because I'm Benin I guess. I think her father has a bad side for Benin people, I don't know why," he shook his head.

I hit the brake and shifted the gear to park, "what makes you think that they don't approve of you, maybe they are just trying to test you to see how much you love their daughter. They want you to fight for what you and Maya have. Don't give up just yet." I took off my seatbelt, "also what makes you think Maya isn't fighting for you guys?"

He unhooked his belt, "when we had dinner at her parents house and her parents blatantly said it that they didn't like me, she was silent. She only scoffed and dragged us out of there, she didn't want to talk about it when I brought the topic up. I overheard her phone call with her mum once and her mum were talking about me, she didn't defend me, she just took in everything like it was true."

This was really serious, "James there's one thing I know, if it is meant to be, it will be. One day her parents will warm up to you, believe it or not. Just keep being the great boyfriend that you are. Now let's go and read, you have to graduate college first." I gave him a slight pat on his shoulder and stepped out of the car.

When he stepped out too, I locked the doors and headed to Riya's door. I knocked and waited for her to answer.

Seconds after she appeared, wearing a small smile on her face as she ushered us in. Maya, Funke and Jo were already in, talking amongst themselves.

I looked at James and it was like he was going crazy, his eyes were fixed on Maya and she was oblivious to his stare. Or maybe she noticed and refused to ignore him.

I know they are going to to get through this and I wish them all the best.

***
Hope you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote and comment.

It's midnight here and I should be sleeping but I just remembered that yesterday was Monday and I didn't update (mentally face palmed myself). Anyways, here's your update.

Till next time!