30. Plan In Action

After watching SpongeBob SquarePants with Sa'eed dozing at intervals Halima finally decides it's high time she goes to bed, it's already after midnight anyways.

She goes to check on the lights, gas cooker and electrical appliances. Aleesha peeks through the door separating the small parlor and the passage leading to the staircase.

Sa'eed is dozing and Halima is nowhere in sight, perfect! Aleesha stirs the milk with her well manicured nail that has an extension attached to it. The substance Lash gave her is inside so it should kick in tomorrow. To avoid Sa'eed regaining his memories, Aleesha is going to take the last step tomorrow, afterall, the waiting is just time wastage.

"Romeo." Aleesha calls Sa'eed and he looks at her with groggy eyes then hisses. Even while half conscious, he's still maintaining the grudge.

"Romeo, I'm sorry. I was just angry, you know how I get when I'm angry. My brain just shuts down completely. I'm sorry. If you've forgiven me please drink this buttermilk." Sa'eed looks at her warily but gulps the buttermilk anyway. A wave of dizziness overpowers him or maybe it's just the sleep. He doesn't care, his wife should just finish whatever she's doing and come so they can go to bed.

Halima comes back to the parlor to find Sa'eed still dozing on the couch. Chuckling, Halima manages to get Sa'eed up and they trudge upstairs to their room where Sa'eed doesn't even bother to change before falling asleep.

The next day, Sa'eed wakes up and out of mere curiosity, looks over to his right. Lo and behold, there lays Halima sleeping, a crease on her forehead and her mouth slightly ajar due to her inability to breathe, the mounds on her chest slightly peeking to wish Sa'eed a good morning.

Normally, that would have been a beautiful sight but today, something seems different. He doesn't know how or why but all of a sudden a wave of repulsiveness overwhelm him and he can't resist the urge to push Halima off the bed as her mere presence disgusts him. He uses so much strength that she falls to the ground with a very loud thud that wakes Aleesha who's sleeping next door.

Aleesha rushes to see Sa'eed shaking his head trying to shake the hatred off while Halima sleepily rubs her eyes trying to get rid of the sleep in them to ask how in the world of flying monkeys she got to the ground. She knows she doesn't move aimlessly while sleeping , she's a peaceful sleeper so how did she end up on the ground?

"Ya Omri, how did I fall?" Halima asks and Sa'eed scurries to the ground and drags Halima up.

"I pushed you off, sorry. You wouldn't wake up so..." Sa'eed grins cheekily and Halima nods, understanding Sa'eed's plight. She's a heavy sleeper.

Halima checks her phone and the time reads 6.37am. Ya Allah! She hasn't even prayed Subh nor has she prepared breakfast for Sa'eed. And he needs to be at work as early as 7.00am. That's twenty three minutes from now.

Halima rushes to the bathroom, performs ablution and hurriedly prays, totally ditching the Raka'atanil Fajr. It's too late for a Nafilah anyway.

Dashing into the kitchen, Halima decides on the easiest breakfast she can think of; indomie noodles, boiled egg and pap. In less than twenty minutes, she's done and Sa'eed is in the small parlor trying so hard with a frustrated face to knot his tie.

"Ya Omri let me help." Halima walks up to Sa'eed and knots his tie. All the while, Sa'eed is resisting the urge to strangle the living daylight out of her. He's trying so hard to keep himself in check.

"Done." Sa'eed smiles and Halima lays the food on the table. They eat in peaceful silence and soon enough, Sa'eed leaves for work.

"Twelve hours, twelve hours is all I need to make Sa'eed mine." Aleesha appears in the kitchen as Halima sprinkles some salt in the vegetable soup. She's making pounded yam, peppered chicken and spinach and water leaves soup.