58. Divorced

"Daddy, Abba, please talk to Mummy. Wallahi I don't want to go back to that house, please." Halima is full verge on crying. The two men turn their faces to the side, showing Halima their napes. Their wives have told them to stay out of it and from the way they said it, they know there's more to it so they have to stay out. Halima wails and turns on her knees to Hajjo and Innayo.

"Ammi please help me. I will die if i go back there. You've always told me you love me, please show me that love now." Halima holds unto Innayo's skirt and sorrowfully, she turns away from Halima. She knows about Halima's pregnancy and she'd be damned if she's the reason why her grandchild doesn't get to experience the love of both of his or her parents. Even if Halima and Sa'eed won't reconcile, they should attempt to. So that whatever happens with the child in the future, would be both their faults alone and no one else's. Having no other choice, Halima turns to her mother.

"Mummy please don't do this to me. Dan Allah Mummy kar kiyi min haka. Wallahi zai kashe ni. Mummy please." Halima wails. Hajjo bends down to Halima's level and drags her up. She signals to Innayo and everyone else leaves leaving just three of them.

"Halima, you have to do this, if not for yourself or anyone, do it for your child. Even if you don't want to consider your child's future, think about your religion. Allah doesn't permit you to stay away from your husband for more than three months except if he's not your husband anymore. But his situation warranted it but now that he's back to his senses you must go back to him." Innayo says intentionally missing the word 'divorce' so that she won't give Halima ideas. If she'll ever consider that option, then she'd have to think it herself.

"Leema baby. I need you to promise me that you'll try to make this work. Sa'eed has promised to try his best and fix this. How would you feel if in the future your child asks you about his father and despite knowing he's alive and wants his child, you can't unite them. Is that what you want? For your child to be fatherless despite having a father?

"If he or she then grows up into an adult and finds out what you've done, do you think he or she will forgive you? I understand that you just want to protect yourself and your child from him but do you think that your child would consider that? If he even considers that do you think he'll be happy that you didn't try to fix things with his father? Think about this, you have an hour. Your clothes are still packed." Hajjo concludes and takes Innayo's hands. They both walk out and leave Halima with dried tears on her cheeks and jumbled thoughts on her mind.

After thinking about it she finally decides that she'll do this for her child. For her child, she'll do this. She can put her mental health at risk for him. She takes a warm bath and changes into a blue maxi dress. She wraps a blue veil around her head. She wears silver flats and walks outside the room.

She sees them all sitting with Sa'eed sitting on the floor, his head casted down. Amal, Afnan and Fatima are giving him disgusted looks.

"... Just because she's coming back doesn't mean you can treat her the way you want to. She's only coming back because of some personal reasons she wants to keep to herself. I suggest you use this opportunity to make things right for you. I have said all I can. The ball is now in your court." Halima hears Abba say leaning back. It seems they've been talking to him for long.

Halima takes this opportunity to look at him. He hasn't changed that much. He has become a shade or two darker. He's slimmer and his muscles look emaciated. It's not like he gymed that much. His beards and side burns are now ridiculously full. His hair is also looking full. It seems like he hasn't been taking care of himself since she left - this makes Halima smile.

The way his now smaller muscles bulge when he raises his hand to itch his hair make Halima gulp. All the memories of all the times he has carried her with those arms make her gulp again. Her mind goes to the times when... No! No! No! Halima bad thoughts. Bad bad bad thoughts, very bad!, she scolds herself.