16. The First Fight

Paul looks at Halima, torn apart between telling the truth and getting his throat slit by a woman. He doesn't want either to occur. He tries to elbow her but she brings the knife closer to his neck.

"Don't try any nonsense. I might be a woman but I'm no weakling." Halima says, each and every of the letters and words she's saying dripping dangerously with warning.

Halima doesn't even know who is holding Paul like that but she's sure she isn't the one. How she got the confidence to do what she's doing, only Allah knows. Even though touching a non-Mahram is Haram, she has to do it. Allah looks at intentions, not actions alone.

Paul gulps. He's never been so tied up in making a decision. On one hand is his life, the other is money. He gulps again, sweat trickling down his forehead. Is he scared? Of course he isn't. Paul Okonkwo has never been scared.

He's been held at gun points countless times over the past years but he has never even flinched. So why does this make a difference? Is it because of the fact that it's a lady? Probably.

Paul starts thinking of the numerous lies he can say but can't think of anything that doesn't involve mentioning his boss, Lash's name.

Halima sees that Paul isn't going to talk anytime soon so she presses the tip of the knife to his neck making him almost choke on his breath. She so badly wants to drop the knife and run to her mummy's hands but she needs to prove Sa'eed wrong.

She's scared that she'll commit murder but she believes that she can't. This is one of the reasons why Halima can never work in a hospital, she's too scared.

"I've always had my eyes on her. Since the day she was brought here, I vowed to make her mine. The way she walks, her shape, her boobs, they way they bounce when..." Paul says not knowing where that came from but gets cut off with a slap from Halima. She couldn't hear him say all those disgusting things about her so she slapped him. Nevertheless, Paul continues.

"I've always wanted to touch her in numerous ways. Always wanted to f*ck her..." She runs into the room and locks herself. She can't take it anymore, so she screams. She screams like her life depends on it and falls to the ground crying. She starts hyperventilating.

Oh no. Her asthma! She's an asthmatic patient. She starts to scramble through her hidden bag maybe there is an inhaler but no. She can't find any. This is the first time in almost ten years she's having an attack and it's all Sa'eed's fault.

She manages to crawl to the bathroom and starts splashing water on her face, maybe that would help but it doesn't. Unable to stay conscious, Halima gives in to the darkness.

Back in the parlor, Sa'eed is beating the hell out of Paul. Paul manages to push Sa'eed off him and runs out of the house. He doesn't have anything important in the house so he doesn't need to come back to the house.

"So that is what happened. Paul is in the backyard as we speak." Lash says while Aleesha looks like she's about to scream in anger.

"Where's the useless goat? A small job! Small thing, just get Halima out of the house, I don't care if he has sex with her but he can't do it! What kind of thug is he?" Aleesha shouts angrily at Lash who's trying to calm her down.

"Juat calm down ta Romeo i have another plan." Lash says in a soothing manner.

"Oh just shut up! You can shove the plan and Paul down your ass for all I care! Do you even understand what love is? Of course you don't. You're too busy being a whore to understand." Aleesha says earning her a slap from Lash.

"Leave my house. I'm a whore koh? Toh leave my house. Let's see how you get Sa'eed without my help." Lash says dragging Aleesha's suitcases out and throwing them on the interlocked floor.

"Yes. I'll leave your house. Karuwar banza annamimiya. I don't blame you. Your parents never taught you anything. Your mother must've been a whore herself!" Aleesha says dragging her suitcases to her car.

"A kya ci ubanki. Munafukar banza mai bin maza wacce batasan ciwon kanta bah." Lash says.

"My friend lock my gate for me!" Lash thunders at the gate man.

"Get the car ready. I'm going out in the next two hours." Lash barks to her driver who nods immediately scared that she might do something to him.

She storms inside angrily. She enters a room at the far end of the corridor after opening it with a key that was on her wrist. From under the bed, Lash brings out a pure white calabash with red silk material tied into rough knots around it. She closes her eyes and says somethings under her breath, sucks in a sharp breath then drops the calabash with her eyes still closed.

She drags out a pure black calabash with red silk material tied in rough knots covering it. She opens her eyes but they've changed color, her left iris is now white while the red, black.

She sucks in another breath and shouts.

"Kallakwaso!" She returns the calabash with her eyes now open, her irises back to normal. She leaves the room and locks it again.

Entering her room, she brings out her Infinix note 6 and taps the instagram app. She searches _AbbaSulaymans_. It's an account created by Amal out of joblessness. How Lash got to know about the account, is known to her alone.

Coming across a picture of Sa'eed, she saves it and taps where he's tagged _Sa'eedAb_. She screenshots about ten of his pictures before exiting the app. She goes to her gallery and taps on one of his pictures.

"So here's Sa'eed Abba Sulayman." Lash muses.

"He's so handsome. Though he's not my type, I'll never let you have him, Aleesha. I'll make sure neither you nor Halima get him. It's because of him you insulted me right? Now you'll know how it feels." Lash says furiously wiping her tears.

What Aleesha said about her parents really hit a nerve. It hurt her alot. If only she knows that she was forced into this by her mother. Lash's mother, Carrie is actually a Yoruba Christian woman who enchanted Lash's father into marrying her.

She did some sorcery and now, even if Lash wanted to stop, she can't. It's like a curse. Lash picks up an ash veil to pair with the ash jumpsuit and black kimono she's dressed in. She slips in a pair of white palms and sashays outside.

"Saminu, come and give me my car key and open the gate." Lash barks to her driver.

"But hajiya you said two..."

"Dallacan malam yima mutane shiru. Whose car is it? Whose house is this? Kaga I don't like waste of time. Give me my keys and open the damn gate!" Lash snatches the key from a frightened Saminu before driving away.

She arrives at a small mud house around the village part of Abuja. She removes her shoes and veil and put them in her bag then walk backwards into Kallakwaso's house. Kallakwaso is a sorcerer who Lash goes to for personal reasons. She doesn't go to Mallam Mai yanka except for business.

Entering she takes a sharp breath and turns around before sitting down. Here goes her revenge, no one goes scot free after insulting Humylash's parents.