10. Death

"Habeebee you're taking too much time in this toilet fah. Are you a girl?" Halima whines as she ties the rope of her Khimaar to the back.

"Ai I told you to come inside with me. That way, I won't take time for no reason." Sa'eed says and Halima can imagine him wiggling his eye brows.

She has been asked by the gynecologist not to be intimate till the result comes out. Sa'eed has been whining about that since the day she told him which was a day after she went to the hospital. And Halima has been teasing him by wearing revealing or tight clothes and sometimes even lingeries.

"Pervert. Be fast dan Allah. I don't want to miss the appointment. You know she's the best gynecologist at Fereprod so if I miss it you have to wait a whole two weeks before you can...." Halima says and Sa'eed can also imagine her wiggling her brows with a full blown teasing smile playing on her lips.

"Ugh. Let's come back from that hospital first. " Sa'eed huffs while Halima laughs at his expense.

She lines her eyes with Kohl and straightens the non-existent wrinkles on her off-white Khimaar then ambles into the walk-in closet to pick out clothes for her husband. As she settles on black denim jeans and blue top two wet hands wrap themselves around her torso while a wet nose nuzzles in the neck of her Khimaar taking deep breaths making warm water trickle down into her Khimaar and down into the A-lined beach colored gown she's wearing.

Sa'eed.

Just as she is about to succumb to him and let him have his way, she uses her free hand to tickle him. He falls to the ground and starts laughing and the white towel which was wrapped around his waist fell to the side. Halima quickly covers her eyes and searches the floor for his clothes then throws it at him before running off.

His laughter resonates while she puts all the necessary things she might need into a red YSL bag. Once she's ready she goes back only to see Sa'eed standing in front of the mirror with a far-away look. She knows what he is thinking about so she goes out and clears her throat silently.

"Habeeby we're running late." He comes out and takes his car keys, phone, wallet and wristwatch before ambling out to where his car is parked. Halima's car arrived last week Friday so he got a driver for her just incase.

He's in no mood to drive so he calls the driver.

"Adamu! Adamu!" He doesn't hear an answer which makes him furious. He doesn't even have a security guard so that means there's no one else in the house.

Just as he picks his work phone to call Adamu, the driver, it rings.

VP PA.

It's the Vice president's personal assistant. He knows why he's calling him. The Vice president's wife's work phone has been hacked. Being the Villa's personal computer expert, it's his work to find out who did it and the judiciary will take it from there.

"Hello, Sir." Sa'eed says and Halima turns to look at him giving him the "
are-you-seriously-doing-this-right-now face. He ignores her and listens to what the person on the other end says.

"The person has accessed her account information, Sa'eed we need you here before 1pm." The person says making Sa'eed almost roll his eyes. He's taken the day off to go with his wife to the hospital and then they demand his presence.

That is the nature of his work and there's nothing he can do to change it. It is never scheduled. He might just be sitting and he'll recieve a call saying his presence is demanded at the Presidential Villa. Some people might think his work is nothing but he does a lot of things like programming all the PCs used by the president, vice president and their families.

"But I took a day off today. My wife is sick and I need to be with her at the hospital. Moreover, I'm still in my honeymoon break. My honeymoon break is two weeks. Today is Wednesday that means I still have three more days." Sa'eed says scratching his forehead with one of the keys in his hand.

"Yes, I know. But you weren't disturbed through out last week. Just try and come." The person sighs.

"Okay, I'll come tomorrow." And he cuts the call without waiting for a response.

"Habeebee what's wrong?" Halima asks concern masking her features.

"Just work. Let me call Adamu and see where he is." He calls a contact saved as 'Adamu driver'

"Hello Adamu?"

"Hello? The owner of this phone has been found dead around the back of Wuse market."

"Subhanallah." Is all Sa'eed can mutter. He enters the car and Halima follows him with a worried face.

"Where in Wuse?" Sa'eed asks and the person tells him. He cuts the call and drops the phone.

As they reach the place a crowd of people are gathered. He scurries through the crowd and there lays Adamu, his forty-seven year old widowed driver. Almost bald hair, pale dark skin, skinny limbs and frail body structure, those were the only things one can use to make out who he is. Or now that he's dead, was.

Halima shrieks as she looks at his face. It has been mutilated in every way possible. The poor man. He couldn't have had any enemies. Sa'eed knows almost everything about him as he questioned him before taking him on the job.

"So, i believe you're here for the work of a driver?" Sa'eed states the obvious in Hausa to Adamu, a frail looking old man with crooked brown teeth.

"Yes. I even have a driver's license." The old man replies in hausa showing Sa'eed a tattered driver's license with a passport of Adamu attached to it. His full name, Adamu Muhammadu, is written with other things.

"Okay. So do you mind if I ask you some questions about yourself?" Sa'eed asks again in Hausa. The old man smiles and shakes his head, as if reminiscing a memory before answering in Hausa.

"I don't mind. Bismillah."

"Okay, so how old are you?"

"Forty seven." Sa'eed gasps. Forty seven? And he looks like someone who's seventy. He must have seen hell in life to look like that.

The old man noticing Sa'eed's amazement and speaks in English this time around, surprising Sa'eed more.

"I know you're surprised. Let me tell you a little about my life. Ten years back, I was a rich gold dealer. I owned three shops in Wuse market and one in Kano, all dealing in gold. My older brother, Salim, on the other hand was just a mere messenger in a company.

"One day, he got fired because the daughter of the owner of the company, didn't like him. He came running to me as I am his only living relative for a job, but I turned him down. I can still remember the cringe-worthy words I said to him that day. " The man stops to wipe his tears.

"Then he got angry and said he would never come to me for help again. Our parents were murdered when they were coming back from Daura. We never keep family ties with our extended family because they aren't cooperative, they are slimy backstabbing humans.

"As they say, Karma is a bitch. Well, Karma bitched me. Few weeks after my ordeal with Salim, my wife, demanded for divorce. When I refused and tried to understand why she asked for divorce, she took me to court and she won the case.

"All my shops were in her name so she took them all. As from that day my life became meaningless. The wife I used to adore never bore any children for me. I am infertile so that was why she did what she did to me. She said she needed to give birth.

"After that, I went to my brother's office to beg for a job and I found out he was dead. He's also not married so he doesn't have an heir. I'm supposed to rightfully inherit his wealth but he had donated his money to an orphanage. There was nothing left for me."

Sa'eed felt for the poor man. He has seen alot. This is one of the reasons why humans shouldn't be proud.

And now the poor man has seen the last straw that broke the camel. He's dead!