13. New Driver

Sa'eed enters the car elated. He looks at Halima and finds out she's just sitting there, not even noticing his giddiness. He starts humming to her favorite song, Symphony by Zara Larsson while bobbing his head as he starts the car but still, no response.

He turns to look at her and sees she has a faraway look in her eyes, she isn't huffing, growling or groaning due to anger as he thought she would be. Neither is she crying hysterically or at least looking sad or broken. She just sits there, looking calm, collected with a faraway look in her eyes. That doesn't make any sense.

He waves his hand in front her face, still, no reply. He snaps his fingers in front of her face, no reply. What's left? He kisses her long and hard, still, no reaction, no reply, nothing. Is she really angry with him that much or has something happened to her?

He engulfs her in a hug begging her to talk to him but she doesn't even flinch. She doesn't move or anything. She just sits there looking pale, all colors draining from her face. What's happening to her?

He rushes outside and calls a nurse, she checks her and says she's in shock like it's the most obvious thing and walks away. She didn't even tell him what to do or anything.

Instead of taking her back inside the hospital, he starts driving. He drives as fast as he can. Once they reach their house, he calls Fatima and tells her to come.

He drags Halima's half-lifeless body inside the house and drops her on the couch. A few minutes later, Fatima appears in a burgundy and bone cream lace sewn into a blouse and six pieces wrapper.

She snaps Halima out of her shock and leaves an unconscious Halima being carried by a worried Sa'eed. Sa'eed carries Halima to their room and sprinkles on her face. She jerks herself up and starts crying.

"Ya Sa'eed please tell me it's a lie. It's a dream right? I won't have any babies?" Halima cries and wails immediately she's conscious.

"Hey, it's okay just calm down. The doctor said there are solutions." Sa'eed says in a coaxing, soothing voice. His statement makes Halima jerk up.

"Really? Well what are we doing here? Let's go back there." Halima says furiously wiping her tears as she scurries into the closet to change her clothes.

"What are you looking at? Let's go!" Halima commands.

"Habeebtee, we have to think this through with a clear mind. For now, just rest. Let me order Dominos pizza and Ajobis Kitchen drumsticks with Shawarma for us. Just sit here and breathe. Okay?" Sa'eed coaxes.

"Okay." Halima replies sounding defeated. Sa'eed stands up with his phone at hand while Halima practices some breathing exercises. He leaves the room and orders the said snacks before going back to the room. Thirty minutes later, they arrive and he enters the room and sees Halima sleeping. She looks so serene, peaceful and beautiful. It's a heart warming sight. He places the snacks in the refrigerator.

Sa'eed changes his clothes into white shorts and grey singlet. Just as he's about to join his wife on the bed, someone knocks on the gate. He groans in annoyance and pulls a white t-shirt over his head before rushing out as the knocking is getting louder.

There's something called a bell. It's meant to inform the occupants of a person's arrival, can't whoever is knocking see it there? As Sa'eed opens the gate, a tall dark man with scars marring his slightly handsome face stands picking at his nails.

"Who are you?" Sa'eed questions folding his hands across his broad chest.

"My name is Paul. I'm the neighbor of the former driver here. Two days to his death, after he left here, he came to me and begged me to take over here because his ex-wife's son had hired him to be his driver and messenger. I was getting ready for coming that was why I couldn't arrive here early. I had to..." Sa'eed cuts Paul off.

"What's the name of the man and what does he look like?"

"He's frail and old looking, dark with crooked brown teeth. Dark and a little bit tall. They call him Baba Adamu." Paul says.

"Okay. Come in." Sa'eed ushers him in and shows him his work and everything. He's going to start a garden at the back of the house, he's also going to do the work of a driver coupled with the work of a gateman.

The man thanks Sa'eed for the generous salary of thirty five thousand naira and a small room with a bathroom and stove to stay in. Halima will give him food thrice daily.

As Sa'eed lays beside his soundly sleeping wife again his work phone rings.

"So somebody can't get thirty minutes of sleep with his wife. Just thirty minutes!" Sa'eed exclaims while groaning in annoyance before picking the call. It is the president's son that's disturbing his peace.

"Hello, Mr Sa'eed. My system has been malfunctioning since last night. I know you were called this morning but can you please come here? Even Mr VP's wife has been waiting for you." The person on the other line says.

"I'm on my way." Sa'eed mutters frustrated and cuts the call.

He changes into a Calvin Klein black shirt, black chinos trousers, a bacucci belt and a pair of Versace cover shoes. He brushes his low cut and picks his wallet, car keys and pecks Halima's head before stepping out of the house, making sure to lock her room and throw the keys through the window. He doesn't want to hear stories that touch the heart about his wife. This drivers can't be trusted. They tend to try their employers' wives.

"Miss A." Paul says as he's sure Sa'eed has left.

"Yes, Paul. Are you in?" A woman answers.

"Yes Miss A. The plan is set. By next week, I'll do the necessary. But it's better to gain their trust first. I have a plan. Once it's accomplished I'll do it."

"Okay Paul. Keep me updated."

"Done Miss A." And Paul cuts the call. Operation Halima VS Sa'eed, is at go.