CHAPTER TWELVE

August 30, 1959

"What the fuck." My eyes widen as I see John on the couch, bloodied up. John wasn't usually the one to come out of the fight like this - which wasn't a good thing either - but at least I wouldn't have to deal with him being here in one of the most inconvenient hours. "Who did he get into a fight with this time?"

"John said something to this bloke, and let's just say that he didn't like what came out of John's mouth," George said, avoiding my gaze.

I kneel beside John and take a better look at his face, which was black and blue in some places and had blood coming out from others. I've seen many aftermaths of his different fights, but this one seemed off. I knew for a fact that John wouldn't have let someone beat him as bad as this, no matter how bevvied up he was.

"Natalie, I might go ahead and head up now. John and your other friend can stay here for the night if they would like."

"Thanks, Mum. Night." I completely forgot my Mum was still there watching us from the stairs. She gave me and George a tired smile before disappearing up the steps. Looking back to George behind me, I tell him, "I'll go get some stuff to clean him up. You just keep watch, alright?"

He nods and sits down on the couch opposite of where John was as I get up from my spot on the floor. Heading to the kitchen, I start to fetch some ice when I hear the doorbell ring. Who else could possibly need me at four in the morning? I set down the bowl of ice that was in my hands on the counter-top and made my way to the front door.

When I got there, George had already opened it. Paul was in front of the two of us, his face red and his fists clenched tight.

"Hey, Paul. What do ya need this early in the morning?"

"Where is John, Geo? Surely you know." Paul glanced at me for a quick second before glaring at George.

"I-I don't know."

"Don't fucking lie to me! I saw you walking out with 'im."

I look back and forth between the two boys. What was going on between the two? When Cyn and I had left earlier, they were all perfectly fine - rejoicing at the new residency they would have at the Casbah.

"Stop hiding him, George! Where is he?" Paul shoved at George, making him almost fall over. I shake my head and grab Paul's hand and lead him further outside before he could do something else to George. The door slams shut behind us, which was probably Geo's doing.

"Paul, what is your problem? What did George do to you?"

"John fucking Lennon is my problem, Nat! Do you not know what he said to me?"

"I don't, Paul. What could he possibly say to make you this fired up?"

"He said that I stole his girl. That jealous son of a bitch."

After the both of us stand in silence for a few minutes, I quietly say, "So you're the one who beat John up, huh?"

"No, who told you tha'?"

"George told me that a bloke at the pub didn't like something that came out of John's mouth. And after what you've just told me, it only makes sense, right?"

"John bloody deserved it." He said bitterly.

"The two of you are as close as brothers, and you do this? No wonder he didn't fucking fight back. He actually cared, unlike you."

"Why are you always defending him, for fuck's sake!"

"Because he's my friend, Paul." He looks down at his feet in defeat. I walked closer to him and put my hand on his cheek. "Look, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you're only like this because of who knows how many bevvies you've had tonight. But if this happens again, we're done."

Turning on my heel, I hurry back inside - leaving Paul by himself in the yard. Watching him through the window, it takes him a few minutes before he finally leaves out of sight.

"You alright? I heard the screaming from in here."

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, Geo."

"I got some stuff that I think you'll need. Took the opportunity when you were outside." George holds up a bowl of ice in one hand, with a towel hanging from his arm - while he had some ointment and bandages in the other hand.

I smile at him as both of us sit in front of John. George was most definitely the little brother I didn't know I had.

. . .

While George and I were cleaning up John's face, I started asking him more about what had gone down at the Casbah. So much had happened in the past few hours that it was hard for me to keep up with it all.

"It's a good thing you were there, George," I pause what I was doing for a second to look at him. "Paul probably would've done way worse if it weren't for you."

"Nah, you should really thank Pete. I didn't do much."

"You need to stop doing that."

"Doing what?"

"Belittling yourself," I tell him while shaking my head. George had the habit of doing this whenever someone praised him - especially when talking about the band. I had started to notice it starting once he got a bit closer to the boys, he would always give his well-deserved credit to someone else, most likely John or Paul.

After that, George remained silent, leaving both of us to our thoughts. I started thinking more about John and Paul. The pair always had their fair share of spats even before Paul and I got together - but it seemed to get worse later on. And the most common factor between them was me.  My eyes rest on John once more, who was still peacefully sleeping on the couch, not once waking up since he had gotten here.

I take in a deep breath, knowing what I was planning to do would be painful as all hell to do. But if I wanted the two of them to stop fighting every now and again - it had to be done. Distancing myself from John would probably be the best thing. For me, Paul, and John's sake.

"Hey, Nat? Hello? Earth to Natalie!" George waves his hand in front of my face repeatedly, taking me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, yeah, what?"

"Your eyes just got really glossy for a second. You alright?"

"I'm fine." I blink away the tears that were starting to form in my eyes.

I was really going to do this. It was going to be hard - considering I was with the band almost all the time - but I had to. I would rather have him keeping a grudge and staying close to Paul than the other way around.

Those two had so much potential in this world, and I wasn't going to let this ruin it.

No matter what it would cost me.

~~~

a/n: hey everyone, i'm back with another update! i really liked how this one turned out compared to the others. i'm really, really trying to pre-write the majority of the chapters so that i can bump it up to twice a week, so fingers crossed. 🤞 hopefully, you all enjoyed the chapter! see you guys next week <3