CHAPTER NINE

August 17th, 1959

"Paul for the hundredth time, you're offbeat and off-tune! And you two! Both of your instruments sound like shite! " John yelled, as he was trying to get the band to sound as perfect as they could for their performance.

"Wow! Am I really? How about you listen to yourself singing, mate?" Paul shot back. All of them were frustrated, and it was only the third day of rehearsals.

Ken just rolled his eyes and lit another ciggie, while George's fists were clenched. He's been the punching bag for both Paul and John's frustrations but said anything back. I tried telling the two of them to knock it off, but they never listened.

"We aren't your fucking subordinates. May I remind you that we supposedly don't have a leader in this group?" I thought this was Paul again, or maybe even Ken, but it was George. John turned his head to him slowly and scoffed.

"Where'd you get the balls to say that, huh? You're lucky I don't even kick you out of my band."

I grabbed John's wrist before he did anything to George, and said, "All of you are giving me a damn headache." Pulling John with me, I brought him to his room upstairs and shut the door behind me. When I was sure no one was listening from the other side, I started scolding him.

"John, come on. You and Paul have to stop putting all your anger towards each other onto George. If you keep this act up, you might lose one of your guitarists, do you want that?"

He rolled his eyes and thought for a moment before finally deciding, "No."

"Then don't do that anymore, alright? You really are being an arse to them if you ask me."

"I know, I know, I just want them not to screw it up. We don't get many opportunities like this every day, especially since we don't have a drummer."

I put my hand on his shoulder in sympathy. "Yeah, I know it's been hard finding some gigs recently. But maybe this Casbah Club thing will attract some more people to the band, y'know?"

"Thanks, Nat. What would I ever do without you?" He says, brings me into a hug.

When we pull away from each other, I answer, "Nothing. All of you would be miserable without me."

"Oh yes, of course. What could I ever do without the wonderful, amazing, fantastic, Natalie Aria Lawrence."

"Okay, stop, you're overdoing it," I smirk at him and cross my arms. "And besides, we should go back down because I don't trust my boyfriend's temper not to rip George apart while we're up here."

. . .

After we went back, they weren't as heated as they were earlier, but still somewhat being arseholes to each other. George messed up one of his guitar solos and John moved his head towards him slowly. I walked to Paul and held his arm tightly. There were chances that this would not end well.

John started, "You - You..." George started to back away from him, worried that John was about to explode all over him. But instead, John took in a shallow breath and continued, "You sound terrible, but just try harder next time. Got it?"

George looked even more scared now at how chill and quiet John was. But he nodded, still that little bit grateful that John didn't have another outburst.

I looked at Paul and both of us were relieved. He bends down and whispers in my ear, "That could've gone in worse ways, hm?"

I smile at him, agreeing, and go sit back on the couch. It was eight in the evening now, so surely I wouldn't have to endure this for any longer.

. . .

"If you all do Tutti Frutti one more time, I will smash all of your instruments to pieces. You hear me?"

George held his guitar protectively, Paul ran up the stairs, and Ken didn't look like he cared as always. John was looking around for where I was because he genuinely didn't know where I was.

I rolled my eyes and took George's guitar out of his hands.

"Natalie!"

"Watch and learn boys. You all are taking way too much time with it."

I start doing George's bit on the song, glancing at the notes he had taken. By the time I finished, Paul, Ken, and George looked at me in awe. John, on the other hand, was facing the wrong direction.

"That was amazing, Nat!" Shaking my head, I walk over to John and turn him around. "Ah. That's where you were."

"John, don't pretend you can see me when you can't. You're literally looking behind me and not at me." I sit back on my place on the couch and lay down. "Just finish up, I'm absolutely knackered already."

. . .

I didn't even remember falling asleep, but when I woke up, it was four in the morning. Bloody hell, I didn't sign up to be a chaperone. After rubbing my eyes and stretching for a bit - I see all the other boys fighting to stay awake.

Paul kept on almost fumbling over, George's head hung down as he looked like he was already asleep, and Ken...well Ken was passed out on the floor.

John on the other hand was as sleepy as the others but was still enthusiastic about practicing.

"One more time boys! A one-two-three-four!

He started drowsily playing the guitar singing very off tune.

"Got a girl named Sue, she knows just what to dO! I got a girl nAmed Sue, she knows just what to do-"

I cover his mouth with my hand and shake my head in disappointment. "John. Just - Just stop."

He takes my hand off and smiles dopily. "Whyyyyy? It's still so early!"

"No, it's fucking four in the morning. This can wait until tomorrow. Look at yourself and look at them. You're all exhausted."

John nodded and proceeded to collapse on the floor. Paul walks up to me and puts an arm around my waist as he groggily asks, "You alright, love?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's just sleep here for the night okay?" Right as I said this, I heard another loud thump behind me, which was George.

Paul and I both look at George then at each other before laughing as quietly as possible. The two of us then curl up next to each other on the sofa, and I feel Paul rest his head atop of mine. My eyes are about to close again, when Paul whispers, "You'll never leave me, right?"

Where'd this question come from? ''Course not. Is that really what goes through your head this early in the morning?"

"Sorry, I'm probably delirious." He says with a chuckle. "I love you, Natalie. Remember that, okay?"

"I love you too, Paulie."

~~~

hi again! by the time this is released, i'll officially be on break from school! *happy noises* i'm pre-writing chapters for this book like a maniac, so yayyyyy! and happy holidays! hope you all are healthy and stayin' safe during this time. see you all next week!