CHAPTER ONE

July 23, 1959

Every week, John and Paul begged me to treat them with some food at this diner they were obsessed with. Yet every time they were awfully late. A fantastic way to show their appreciation don't ye think?

I look at my watch for the time - and it had been a whole 30 minutes with no trace of either of them. The waitress comes back to my table as she had been doing every 5 minutes. An impatient look on her face, she warns, "If the rest of your party doesn't come soon, you'll have to leave. We don't have the space for someone who won't even order."

She was right about one thing. But if she thought this place was always packed and busy, there must be something wrong up in that head she has. I respond, "Can't you wait a few more minutes?"

The waitress, whose name tag read "Jen", rolled her eyes. Jen says, "Alright. But this is the last extension, you hear me?"

"Yep, loud and clear."

Jen walks away, leaving me to my thoughts and reconsidering even taking them to this weekly thing in the first place. I see Jen still scouting me from across the diner. Maybe I should go. I get my bag and get out a few pounds. Least I could do for keeping their "popular" diner waiting. Sliding out of the booth, I suddenly stop at the sound of the bell from the door. Finally.

I slide back in, with John and Paul scooting on the same side. In annoyance, I say, "Both of you do know there are two sides to a booth, right?"

John, who is closest to me, pulls this devilish grin on his face. "No, I actually don't Nat." I poke his side with my elbow, maybe too hard, which makes John wince. Then looking at Paul, he looks a bit scared.

Tilting my head to the side, I ask, "What happened to ya there, Macca? Cat got yer' tongue?"

Paul shakes his head and slowly gets up and moves to the other side. John stays where he is, not giving up this little act.

"You going to scoot your big arse anytime soon?"

"Nah, don't feel like it."

"Oh really? Interesting. How about I leave you two here to pay for your own expensive meals."

I feel Paul kick John under the table - not willing to lose his lunch for John's antics. Batting my eyelashes at them, I say, "Well?"

John frowns and scoots over a bit, finally giving me some well-needed space. Jen comes back to us and smiles at the sight of the two boys. Passing out the menus, she locks eyes with Paul especially. I see John cover his mouth, muffled laughter coming from it. Pursing my lips together, I try not to laugh as well at the awkward sight. Jen takes out her notepad and pen - then asking Paul for his order.

"Anything I can get you lot today?" She says as casually as possible, yet still only looking at Paul. He returns the looks and plays along.

"Yeah, I'd like myself a shepherd's pie with some coke. Ta, love." Paul says as he winks suggestively. John and I give each other a look, both knowing how Paul had zero interest in this bird. He just wanted a good laugh to tell later on.

Jen writes down his order and then looks and John. "And what can I get you today?"

Instead of waiting for John to respond, I answer first - knowing it was the complete opposite of what she wanted. "Yeah, I'll have some bangers and mash with some coke, thanks."

Jen looks at me with so much disdain that I could burst out laughing any second. John shows no interest in her and says, "I'll have the same. Ta."

She walks away disappointed, and when Jen is out of our sight all of us start to cackle - except Paul. John and I try to settle down, and I question why Paul wasn't happy. I ask, "Paul, what's weighing you down?"

He looks at us seriously and responds, "Well, that bird didn't deserve both of your teasings."

"Are you serious? I thought you were just playin' with the girl."

"Really, Macca? Didn't know you were the sensitive type." John adds.

Paul rubs his head in frustration, saying something while doing so. "Well, if caring about a girl makes me sensitive, so be it."

After thinking for a bit, I piece something together. Why was Paul on this new bird? I swear he told me he had a girlfriend a few days ago. Really curious, I ask another question. "Aren't you dating someone named Dot? If you are, why are you stuck on a waitress who you just met?"

"I am, yeah. Just don't tell her alright? Please?"

I look to John for help but he looks away. Sighing I look back to Paul with his damn doe eyes. At this point, I don't know if this was on purpose or just an automatic thing that happens when he wants his way.

Not able to resist those eyes, I say, "Okay, I won't tell her. Only because the three of us here are best mates."

Paul smiles, knowing he got what he wanted, and says, "Thanks, Nat. Love ya."

I blush at what he says. "Yeah, yeah."

John looks to the two of us in what seems like jealousy before looking back at his lap, thinking I didn't catch that. Jen comes just in time with our food before the three of us sat in eternal silence.

. . .

After eating, John and I had to split away from Paul after he forgot that Jim had given him a curfew that he had well past. When John and I were left to ourselves, I tried to spark conversation with him but he didn't seem to want to talk.

We were just walking to wherever our feet could take us at this point, and I couldn't bear this unusual side of John. Him being fully silent. No snarky comments or anything, just silence.

I stop him when we reach this movie theater. Putting a hand on his arm and squeezing it slightly, I lightly question, "Did I do anything to upset you, John? You're awfully quiet."

He looks everywhere except my eyes. "No, I'm alright."

Not being satisfied with his vague answer - I use my other hand to gently make his face meet mine. "You don't sound alright to me. And don't you even try to lie to me, we've known each other for 6 years now."

"Did you and Paul have something that I don't know about?"

"Is this about the 'Love ya' thing?"

"No, about the food. Yes, about that." John says in a sarcastic tone.

I couldn't say that it didn't mean anything to me, because it did. But since a year ago, I started feeling something for the two boys. Them starting a band and having girl frock all over them wasn't helping my feelings either.

After thinking for a bit, I respond, "No. Paul and I have nothing to hide."

John nods and shrugs off my hand. When he realizes where we are, his face lights up like a child, as if nothing serious had happened a moment ago.

"Wanna watch a movie? I heard there's a lot of good stuff playing at the moment."

I pretend to think for a minute before saying, "Alright. Only if yer the one who's gonna pay."

John looks at me hesitantly, probably thinking of the cost. Sure his band, whatever it was called at the moment, had gigs, but all John spent it on was ciggies and bevvies at wherever pub they were playing at. Reminds me, better set some time aside to teach him about basic money-saving skills.

Smiling warmly at him, I propose, "I'll pay this time, but you promise to pay next time?"

He returns the smile and slings an arm around my shoulders. I think more about how I felt about these two people I called my best mates.

What were these two boys doin' to me?