CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

December 25th, 1959

I sat on the edge of the sofa cross-legged watching my parents run around the house in a hurry. They had both gotten a call from each of their workplaces to come in because of the rush of people, and of course, they took it to no one's surprise. Those two couldn't turn down any offer from work no matter what and it was properly exhausting. Year after year like clockwork. Mum and Dad would both promise not to do it again the next time — whenever that was supposed to be.

"Mum, Dad, you two promised not to go this time. They surely don't need you two right now." My eyebrow raises at them, though it was no use. Once their eyes were set on something, they were going to get it. It shouldn't come as such a shock to me because that was one of the things I definitely got from both of them. "It's Christmas, not annual leave your daughter sulking around day."

"Honey, you know why yer Dad and I do this. It's to save up for all of our futures."

"Listen to your mother, luv. Besides don't you have a party later on with John and the other lads? You won't be left alone."

There they went again with their excuses. I get they wanted to save money for our futures, I really do. But not to the point where I couldn't remember a single damned holiday where they actually were home and celebrated like an actual family. It was getting fucking tiring to be without family year after year.

"That's not — That's not the point, okay? I just want us to have one Christmas together. One. Just stay, please."

The both of them glance at each other before settling their eyes on me with a look that just meant they weren't going to stay. Why even bother? I knew I was just setting myself up for failure the moment I asked them that.

"We're sorry, Natalie. We'll increase your allowance for the next month, how about that?" My Mum bent down to my eye level and pinched my cheek like she always did when I was smaller. She had such a level of enthusiasm on her face that it felt only right for me to at least put effort in giving her some sort of smile back. She stood back up straight and headed to the door with my Dad. "We love you!"

"Love you too."

The door slams shut almost immediately afterward, and whatever trace of a smile that was on my face seconds before suddenly was wiped away. Here I was alone on Christmas of all days. What a perfect day to spend the holidays, hm? Pathetic, bitter, and by myself. Wonderful mix.

Only one person came to mind that could maybe lift my spirits in the slightest. Someone who could remotely relate to whatever weird jumble of feelings I was experiencing right now. Picking myself up from the sofa, I slowly walk to the phone and ring him up — wishing and hoping he would pick it up.

. . .

"Nat. You alright? Sounded quite unlike yourself on the phone when you rang."

John stood there in his usual Teddy Boy outfit, his crinkled white shirt and leather jacket looking like he slipped them on very last minute. And by the looks of the rest of him with his bushy hair and crooked glasses — seemed like he had just gotten out of bed when I had called him.

"I'm fine, I just wanted some company for a little while before we head to the party later on with the other boys. Come in." Right as he walked past me to get into the flat, I was instantly hit with a not-so-pleasant smell. Definitely had just gotten out of bed when he got here. My first instinct was to pinch my nose so that I wouldn't have to endure any of this odor any longer than I had to. "Yuck."

"Oi, I heard that! You told me it was important so I rushed myself over here as fast as I could. No time for showering and whatnot. Just spray some perfume on me later if that makes you sleep better at night, alright?"