CHAPTER FIVE

August 1st, 1959

After that phone call this morning, we had found out about where John went after last night's little spat. He went to this pub and according to the owner who called us, was "pissed out of his mind". Yeah, not surprising considering who John was. If he started drinking at some point in the day - it would be hard for him to stop.

Me and Paul took the crowded bus to the pub, much to both of our protests. We didn't want to go on a crowded, sweaty bus at nine in the morning, but what could we do? Once we got off at the outside of the place, I could hear John's bellowing voice already. The two of us look at each other knowing exactly what we were dealing with.

We walk in and see John picking a fight with someone. I look to Paul and mutter a quiet, "Oh dear." About to walk in and break up the fight myself, Paul nudges me back with his arm as he goes in between the fight. He then pulls John away, and over to me as the man he was fighting with comes up to me. The man reaches out his hand and demands, "Give me money, your friend has caused enough."

"I don't even know who you are." I say as I try to get away before I feel him yank on my hair, hard. Such a strong force caused me to fall back and hit my head. It hurt like hell. I struggle to get up without stumbling.

After what seemed like a while of standing, everything around me seemed to start spinning and I couldn't seem to support myself. Focusing on trying to grasp a table to keep my balance - I completely forget about the two boys. In my spinny vision, I see two figures ganging up on the man. All the yelling starts up again and it doesn't help how I feel at all.

I hear John and Paul's loud voices rising which could never mean any good. I hear some of their not-so-friendly conversation with the man.

"What did you do to her? Huh? Answer me you fucking coward!" From the voice and the language, I could tell it was John. Never anger an already agitated man.

"Yeah what he said!" And that, that was Paul. Not nearly as intimidating - but he tried.

But from that point, it starts to get worse and worse. I could tell a fist-fight was about to start, and boy, let me tell you, Paul and John's anger were like a perfect storm. Knowing how bad it could become, I yank each of their arms away as they look at me.

"Paul, John, just stop. You both can't afford to get into any trouble. Especially you, John."

Though the two of them were still not on the best terms with each other, the pair looked at each other and nodded. We start to walk out when John goes back to the man and taunts him. "You lay another fucking finger on her, and I swear. Broken property is going to be the least of your worries."

"John!" I call out again, not wanting this to escalate any further. He turns back around to me, not before flicking his middle finger up at the man. Shaking my head in disapproval, I grab John again and the three of us disappear through the door before anything else would happen.

. . .

Once we got back to Paul's, I felt loads better. Couldn't say the same for Paul and John, though. The two were still fired up from what happened this morning and I don't blame them. Almost getting into many fights at 9 in the morning couldn't have been peaceful.

Paul was cleaning the dining room while John and I were in the living room by ourselves. There was still a good amount of tension between the two of us, so we didn't talk almost at all except for earlier. I start to get up to just go help Paul or just do anything except sitting in silence when John asks, "Are you happy with him?

I sit back down across from him. "With Paul? Yeah, I am."

"Then I'm happy for you two. Last night was just a mess, I wasn't thinking straight. You know with the band and all. I'm sorry."

My eyes light up. I never was craving his approval on the matter, but just knowing he wouldn't let this get between us three or the band was a nice thought. Smiling slightly at him, I respond, "Thanks. And I forgive you. No need to stay stuck in the past."

I start to get up and into the kitchen again before I stop for a minute.

"Also, John? This whole soft side doesn't suit you."

"Sod off, Natalie."

Smiling to myself, something in me felt like a weight had been lifted from me. If this didn't get fixed as fast as it was, I wouldn't be able to fathom the consequences it would bring. For the band, and most importantly for Paul.

In the kitchen Paul was finishing putting back the last of the dishes. Going up to him, I go on my tippy-toes and peck him on the cheek.

He grins at me widely. "Hello there love. You alright?"

"Yeah I'm pretty good. I just want to ask you something really quick." Referring to that whole thing with Dot this morning.

"About Dot? I broke things off with her this morning."

"Honest? You know I love you Paul, but I don't wanna be the girl on the side that you just shag whenever."

"What? No, of course not! I love you more than anything, Natalie."

I blush at this statement, Paul was really a gentleman, and a flirt at that. Any bird that came into his view would be wooed in some way. And looking at Paul, who wouldn't?

But if Paul wasn't dating Dot anymore, could that mean what I think it meant?

"Nat, do you wanna be my girl?"

"Paul I think we're way too young to get married-"

"You silly goose. I meant if you wanted to start dating. Since y'know, I'm not with Dot anymore."

"Oh yes, sorry. Of course, I will."

He grabs me by the waist and lifts me in the air, which causes me to give out a little squeal. I hear footsteps come into the kitchen and suddenly hear John's voice.

"Hey Paul when do you-oh fuck me."

Paul quickly puts me down as I turn to John, my cheeks hot.

"So John, do you and Paul have something to tell me?" I say, trying to relieve some tension.

"No no no, I didn't mean the 'fuck me' in that way." John quickly defends his statement, putting his hands up.

All of us laugh together for the first time since last night. My heart feels all warm and fuzzy inside, knowing my boys were back. What would I ever do without them?

Once we all settle down, John and Paul step out of the kitchen, and back into their "acoustic chamber". I hear some guitar strings strumming and their beautiful voices blended. I follow them and lean on the wall. Neither of them sees me while I smile like an idiot at them. I was amazed at how barely anything could get in their path, for now, at least.

I turn back to the main area and get ready to leave. They always worked best with zero distractions, and I respected that.

Not able to wipe this smile from my face, I think to myself:

Those two are going to make it big someday. I know it.

a/n: happy thanksgiving! hope you all enjoyed this chapter. i promise to try to be more consistent, it's just that my writer's block won't let me! :( anyway, i should get going now. see you all next chapter!