42 Rock Meets Hard Place

Jace POV

"Forget it," Kane says, locking his amber eyes on mine. "We have bigger fish to fry." He dismisses Doc to quickly destroy any trace of those test results before anyone else can find out.

I nod, unable to argue with his logic. He opens the door and we walk back into the loud boardroom, where arguments and conversations are in full swing.

"So say somehow you get Chris to stand down... That still leaves the issue of the spy," one of the Alphas points out.

"It doesn't," Garrick cuts back, his grey eyes hard issuing the challenge. "Landon would have had all the knowledge needed to pull this off and we haven't been able to find him since his altercation with the Luna."

"And when was this?" Luda asks, furrowing his brow. "And more importantly, why is this the first we've been told?"

"It's common knowledge that he took off after a training incident," Eric cuts in. "We can point fingers or we can move forward. I for one, am more interested in figuring out our next move." He lets his words hang heavy in the air as he scans the room. Slowly he's met by murmurs of agreement and nods. He looks to Kane and Garrick as he takes his seat. 

"We've already changed sectors and beefed up patrols. Mixed pack and minimum of fifteen wolves per squad," Xavier says. "There are additional inner scouts to prevent this from happening again."

"I'll add more Guardians throughout as well," Garrick adds. 

There are murmurs as the other Alpha's add suggestions and they iron out the rest of the defense plan. Every angle is covered and changed from how we had been doing things before.

"It's time," Xavier warns. His dark eyes are locked on mine but I can see the uncertainty in them.  

Xavier is the most dependable man I know, the best warrior. He is the guy you call on when you want orders to be carried out no matter what. But even he knows this isn't the right move, so he's waiting on me to come up with a solution.

"You can't seriously still be leaving?" One of the other Alphas asks, grabbing my arm.

"Do not question my loyalties," I growl, ripping his arm off of mine. 

I head off to the training yard with Xavier, Kane, Eric and Luda, where my pack is already assembled. The sight gives me mixed feelings; pride but also dread. Each warrior stands there with fierce determination burning in their eyes as they wait for orders.

Chris is pacing at the front of the field, tense, fists balled as he scans the area impatiently. I can see Cyrus clawing to get out as his skin ripples. When he turns and locks eyes with me, it's clear the rage in his eyes is blinding him.

"Chris," Kane greets him stoically. 

"Kane," he grumbles. "If you've come to talk me out-"

"I wouldn't dream of it," Kane drawls.

'I thought he was supposed to calm Chris down, not piss him off further,' Xavier links, irritation clear in his eyes.

Chris glares at Kane, waiting, like he knows something else is coming. Kane just stands there, clenching his jaw as he figures out his next move.

"So what's the plan then?" Kane finally asks as he looks over the assembled warriors. "Storm their strong hold with one pack?"

"Do not underestimate my people when their Luna is on the line," Chris snaps back.

"Not in the slightest," Kane says, throwing up his hands in surrender. "I just hate to see such a waste-"

Chris snarls in rage, taking a threatening step towards him, but to Kane's credit, he doesn't even flinch.