66 Aim to Misbehave

How is everyone enjoying the story so far? If you like it, please remember to vote on each chapter. It helps our books be seen by more people. I appreciate every vote/read/comment and try to respond to as many comments as possible.
🥰Thank you!🥰

Something cold in my hand stirs me from the void. My body and senses are sluggish and refuse to obey my commands. A moment later, I feel the bed dip behind me and instantly I tense.

"I tried," he whispers in an anguished tone.

My heart starts to race as I recognize Dimitri’s voice. I struggle harder, fighting back against the void. Finally, my eyes reluctantly flutter open. My body may no longer be broken but I'm left so weak I can't even raise my head off the bed.

"I'm so sorry Jess," he continues. 

My mind clears and I focus on him, suddenly realizing his energy reads differently. 

It's Nikoli. 

His sorrow and anguish wash over me in waves. There's so much guilt, I feel torn, I'm here partially because of him yet Dimitri’s madness is to blame. Nikoli has never done an unkind thing to me and treated me the best he could, his energy even screams not the enemy.

"You warned me, but I was too desperate to listen," he mumbles, brushing back the hair that’s stuck to my forehead. "Now look at you. Fighting for your life because I was too selfish." The self hatred in his voice is hard for me to hear. 

Dimitri poisons everything he touches.

"That's a master key, it'll open every collar. The final battle is coming, I don't know if we will win or lose, but I pray you're not here when I get back." His words hang heavy as I feel his heart break. My fingers curl tightly around the key in my palm, realizing what a gift it truly is. "For what it's worth Jess, I truly am sorry. You have been the one shining light in my darkness and it nearly cost you everything. That is a debt I can never repay."

He sits there for a moment longer in silence before he gets up and walks to the door. He pauses in the doorway, taking one last look before he shuts the door and locks it. My eyes drop to the key in my hands. 

I may hate my collar but I don't care, it won't hold me back from fighting.

But if I could get this out to the other women in the packhouse... There is an entire army under their noses with enough bottled up rage to shred the underbelly of the beast.

My mind starts to cloud over once again and I'm so tired I can't even force myself to move. Movement catches my attention, then Sasha comes into view at the end of the bed. Her normally big bright brown eyes are dark and hooded by exhaustion.

"Luna?" She calls, crawling over to me.

"Hi," I mumble, inwardly groaning at my dumb reply. 

Sasha on the other hand lets out a small relieved laugh. "Drink as much as you can," she says, propping me up and bringing a cup to my lips.

Savoury warm liquid fills my mouth as I force myself to swallow. The rich, flavourful broth is a welcomed relief to my parched mouth. With some effort, I manage to drink the entire glass. By the last sip I can barely keep my eyes open.

"Can you give this to Nikita, or someone to unlock all of the collars?" I ask, pressing the key into her palm. "Have them wear them till the fight starts, but I want to unlock as many as possible," I mumble, barely a whisper.

"It'll be done Luna. Sleep." Sasha commands. Her hands are on my temple and I feel the cool tingle of her energy and am out a moment later.

-----