59 Blood that Binds Us

Jace POV

Mira has been holed up in the library with the Keeper ever since Derek brought back those books. She's just as happy to stay away from the pack, and as much as she puts on an angry, uninterested front, I can smell her fear.

I've been glued to her since we brought her back, not that she's a prisoner, but we did just basically bring an unstable nuke into our pack. I may be the only one that notices, but she avoids everyone when possible and works very hard to hide her fear.

As a peace offering, I decide to bring the ladies lunch up here instead of ushering them out, something that has become a daily chore. It's nothing fancy, just fruit and chicken ceasar wraps, but it smells great.

I slip in and close the door as quietly as I can behind me but when I turn around both women are staring at me. Marjorie always looks at me like she's studying a bug whereas Mira pins me in place with those captivating blue-green eyes.

"Lunch?" I finally ask, breaking our standoff. They stay seated but their eyes follow me while I bring the tray over to the empty table. Neither woman moves so I take a seat and uncover one of the wraps. She tries not to react but I see Mira’s cute nose wrinkle.

"We could use a break," she concedes, standing up. She stretches and walks over keeping her gaze trained on me the whole time. I can't help the crooked grin I wear when she digs in.

"Something funny, Pretty Boy?" Mira asks between bites.

"Thought they called him playboy?" Marjorie questions, furrowing her brow.

"Fitting," Mira scoffs, rolling her eyes.

"You could just call me Jace," I tease, leaning in and snatching a grape. "Though I don't mind you calling me Pretty Boy either."

'Really?! You're usually smoother than this,' Phoenix groans.

"How about I stick to Beta," Mira growls, hardening her gaze.

"What did you do to piss her off?" Marjorie asks, suddenly very interested.

"I think I exist... and am a wolf... pretty sure that's all it takes," I reply with a frown.

"I'm a wolf, she's fine with me," Marjorie presses on.

"Well she did try to kill me," I muse.

"God, you're so annoying, and dramatic," Mira groans.

"Really? 'Cause most people consider me charming," I press on with my best playboy smile. 

"Unlikely," she replies trying to sound bored. 

It's like she's trying to be extra frosty, at her cabin she was giving me a completely different vibe.

"So what have you guys been working on so hard?" I ask, shifting gears.

"My sister’s request," Mira replies, like that will clear it all up. I raise a brow, signaling that I need more. She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a folded note. "She slipped this in the books, thought you knew?" Her eyes soften a hair as she reads the confusion on my face.

"It was addressed to you, so we never looked," I reply plainly, hoping she'll pick up the respect we keep offering her. I take the offered note and carefully open it.

Sorry about the chains, but you know how you get. I know you hate dogs, but I swear if Jess is any indication, they are GOOD people. They will make them hurt but they need your help, that's why we're sending the books. If anyone can recreate the bond, I know you can!
Love you sis!
Sha-sha