43 Cave

Jace POV

"Run, baby girl!" Kane screams, throwing the man he was fighting with back as the rogues surge forward. Terror etches his face as his eyes land on Willow.

She gasps, wide eyed at the scene unfolding around her. Willow looks other worldly in the grim chaos around her, with her long blonde hair flowing in the breeze, bright blue doe eyes, alabaster skin, and wearing nothing but a white night dress with no coat and barefoot.

"Stop!" The man fighting with Kane roars, freezing the onslaught of rogues. 

In an instant, Kane lunges to protect Willow but is knocked askew just short of her. Everyone is frozen in place as Kane and the man square off. I can't help but notice that the rogue is positioned defensively between Willow and Kane. Chris must have noticed the odd behaviour too, as he stops grappling with Caimen; both men merely hold on as they watch.

"Get away from her," Kane snarls, getting back on his feet. 

The challenger widens his stance and lowers his shoulder, digging in for defense. His dark eyes are locked on Kane's and he's not backing down. "No," he growls defiantly.

With a feral snarl, Kane launches himself at the challenger and the men collide with the force of titans. Neither man is holding back as fists fly. Kane may be larger and more powerful but his opponent isn't losing ground.

"Stop!" Willow screams as she runs towards them.

Shit!

I barely have a chance to grab her, curling my body between her and the battling men as a wild fist catches me on the shoulder. Willow screams in shock, but I manage to take the full blow, sparing her. Both men freeze and lock eyes on her.

"I should have killed you when I had the chance," Kane snarls, turning back to the challenger with his face contorted in rage.

"Likewise! You should have been put down for the monster you are," the challenger growls, landing a punch on Kane’s jaw. Willow struggles in my arms as I pick her up to move her out of striking distance of the battling brutes.

"Stop!" she screams, her soft voice laced with anguish. "Please, Kane stop!" she wails as she starts to cry. 

Willow looks up at me, blue eyes full of tears, begging. "Make them stop," she pleads as the crocodile tears roll down her cheeks. "Please Jace, you have to stop them!"

"Fuck," I groan, passing her to Garrick.

Not wanting to add fuel to Kane’s fire, I throw my shoulder at the challenger's shoulder, knocking him back a step as Kane’s fist flies by my temple. Both men snarl and growl, pushing to get in close.

Relief floods me as more space is gained when Derek takes on Kane. Slowly, as we get the men appart their fight dies down and Willow’s anguished sobs fill the air. As soon as he hears her, Kane moves swiftly to her, upsetting the challenger. He struggles under our hold, eyes locked on Willow as confusion takes over.

Kane picks her up like a child, wrapping her legs around his waist as she throws her arms around his neck, burying her face in the crook of his neck. He strokes her hair and holds her tight, like he's afraid to lose her.

"Shh, baby girl, I've got you," he coos, trying to soothe her as sobs wrack her tiny body. "Why are you here? It's too dangerous to be out at night like this!" He's torn between trying to soothe her and control his anger and fear.

"I had to come," she finally mumbles as she starts to settle. "She said you needed me." Willow locks her big blue eyes on him, instantly melting him.