80 Justice

My evening conversation and morning argument with Chris about Peter’s innocence did not go well. I thought by being open and honest with him about what went on under Dimitri’s leadership, he would understand my point of view.

I was wrong.

To him, the laws are black or white, a person is either guilty or innocent, and there is no room for making the best out of a bad situation. He keeps repeating that every action has a consequence and I get it but he doesn't see the other side of the blade.

Already he is gathering with the other Alphas getting ready to start the proceedings. They've taken over the dining commons, pulled back all of the tables, leaving only the benches and a row of tables across the head of the room for the judging Alphas to sit at.

I race to get dressed and make my way down to the dining hall, not bothering with breakfast. The crowded room falls silent as the sea of people part, letting me up to the front of the room where Chris and the others sit.

Chris sighs but nods to the open seat beside him. Kane is seated on his opposite side and Eric beside me. I recognize Luda, Caimen, and Nikita but no one else other than Derek.

"Quiet everyone!" Chris shouts, instantly silencing the room. "Are you ready to begin?" Marjorie nods, straightening up her notebooks and papers from her small desk in front of us.

"We have many to go through today, so the proceedings will be quick," Chris warns. "If you have grievances against the accused, please make your way to the witness stand."

I clear my throat, flashing him a pointed look, willing him to meet me halfway. 

If people can highlight their guilt they should be able to highlight the good too.

Chris sighs before addressing the crowd once more. "Also, if there is testimony in their defense, it will also be heard."

The crowd breaks out in nervous murmurs as they debate who would defend anyone. As I scan the crowd, I notice half of the room is devoted to the newly freed shewolves. Many look around nervously, but draw comfort from their friends.

"First off, Dimitri's Beta, Peter," Chris announces, flipping a page. The crowd jeers as Mitch leads Peter to the defendant’s chair, seated in the middle of the space and facing us.

"Enough," Chris barks, silencing them once more. "Council members Massimo, Romanoff, Lysander, Sylvia, and Silas were all killed during the war, as was Dimitri and the Rogue Alpha."

The room breaks out into cheers that Chris shuts down with a single look. I sigh feeling the petty energy coming off of him.

'At least try to not be biased,' I groan.

"His Beta is the last rank wolf left standing, all other alphas were killed on the field," Chris continues. "Aside from the obvious grievance of being his Beta, you owned a collared female, Alpha Nikita," he mumbles in shock, lifting his eyes briefly from the page in front of him to her before returning to the offenses.

"Do you dispute?" Kane growls.

Peter sits there with his head lowered accepting the sentence without a fight. "No, I am guilty."

The crowd boos and jeers loudly, yelling for sentencing. I let out a stiff breath struggling to keep my temper in check as irritation blooms in me.

"Quiet!" Chris yells, slamming his fist down so hard the table jumps. "I will not keep saying this. If you cannot control yourself, we will have closed judgements."

His words hang heavy in the air as a dead silence falls over the crowd. Most of the noise was coming from the side filled with warriors, the shewolves are mostly quiet.