7 Carry On

Enjoying my story? Don't forget to vote on each chapter and share so others can read it too! That helps it not get lost and forgotten in the WP abyss. Thank you🥰

Knocking on the door woke me from my restless sleep. My eyes were crusty and puffy and my cheeks were still wet. I had hoped to wake up from this nightmare but apparently, that's too much to ask for.

"Come in," I croak, realizing how dry my throat was.

A middle-aged man in a white lab coat walks in and smiles at me. He's unassuming and calm, though I can feel an undercurrent of nerves.

'They're all afraid of you.' 'Sounds like they have good cause.'

"How are you feeling, Luna?" He asks cautiously as he approaches.

I just shrug, how do I feel? Emotionally? Like shit? Physically, fine I guess. "I'm not sick if that's what you mean."

"Headaches?" He asks, raising a brow.

"Often, but not at this moment," I admit.

"Here," he says, sliding a small black case to me. "The shot is to be used as a last resort, in fact, I'll administer it if need be. The tabs have the dosages on the bottle, but if you are unsure or it lasts long don't hesitate to come see me." He sits down at the end of the sofa and turns and studies me.

"Oh right, sorry, I'm Dr. Phillips, Still Waters head physician." He fidgets with his clipboard as he scribbles some notes down. "So Chris says you don't remember anything since your first shift? Can you tell me what you do remember?"

"Pain? A blinding searing pain, thought my brain was melting or something, never had a headache that bad but it slowly ebbed away. Wolves chasing me, apparently I went psychotic," I trail off as the tears start to well again.

"Now, now, none of that. You went through something incredibly traumatic. First shifts are painful, your body is learning to do something that defies logic. We do it normally around puberty, when we are strong enough to handle it and young enough to still be that flexible. Forced shifts are dangerous and worse. People have died from forced shifts, that you survived all of that is nothing short of a miracle."

"Not sure everyone involved would have seen it that way," I mumble.

"You owe it to him to carry on and not break. Embrace this new life. From what I see here your habitual memory is intact, correct?" He asks.

"Um, what's that?"

"Your skills and things you've learned or developed habits for. You carry daggers, do you not?" I nod. "The Guardians gave them to you and taught you how to use them, it feels easy, right?"

"Yeah like it was second nature, if I think about it, I mess it up, but if I'm on autopilot, I'm kind of scary." I flashback to the creepy guy in the bar, the moves felt very familiar, like I had done it before.

"You'll no doubt come across many things like that, you are a very capable young woman! Embrace those moments. It tells us that your memories aren't gone, they're just out of reach for now." I can see the hope in his eyes as he explains it and I'm right there with him.

"I've been having dreams, flashes of memories, is there something I can do to trigger them?" Suddenly I'm even more anxious to fill in blanks.

"Can't rush these things. Go and do what feels normal, train but be careful, until your bond is stronger with your wolf," he says.

'There's nothing wrong with us,' she growls.

"How do I do that?" I ask in frustration.

"Talk to her, it takes time, shifting helps... but maybe not in your case," he trails off nervously.