62 Bonds

Chris POV

I have a new level of understanding and sympathy for Jess’ headaches and migraines. Pack bonds have nothing on the royal bond; it's been quite an adjustment getting used to this level of connection.

After leaving Kane in the pack hospital, I went with Jace and Mira to the boardroom where Garrick, Ethan, Derek, and Mack were waiting. Somehow I had it in my mind that activating Ethan’s bond would take some intricate or elaborate ceremony, whereas it was nothing more than blood bonding with Garrick.

My heart felt heavy but full as I stood with Ethan for him to take his rightful place. To think back to how he was this spring, a feral child afraid to let anyone in or stay in one place, I'd never recognize the young man he's becoming. 

No kid deserves to have the weight on their shoulders that he does. Never once have I heard him complain though... He was dealt a shitty hand but takes it and bears all the guilt that's not his. Even now, he's accepting his birthright, not because he wants to be king, but because it can help save Jess. 

The kid has more honor and moral fiber then half the grown men I've met. I have no doubt he will be a great king, I just wish he could have been a kid for a little bit longer.

Cyrus snapped to attention as soon as his bond was activated, as did everyone else. There was a new hum along the mind link, impossible to ignore like a constant white noise in my brain.

After his bond was set, Mira reached out for both my hand and Ethan's. She drew the dagger across my hand and did Ethan's again. The air around her felt charged and I felt the cold tingle of her magic as she took our hands and brought our open wounds together.

Blinding white light exploded in my mind like a supernova before collapsing in on itself and solidifying into a bond. It was like my pack bond but so much more. 

My pack is large, I thought I knew what a loud bond was like but I wasn't prepared for the volume that flooded in, drowning my own thoughts. After a few moments, I was able to dim it down to a manageable level. Quieting my Still Waters bond is second nature now and requires no thought; this, however, is going to take time. 

As a final test to see if it worked, Mack did her infamous push. The jarring form of healing did indeed work on me, validating Mira’s efforts, but it felt like grabbing an electric fence.

With the final hurdle covered, it's time for the final battle. I'm in my office sifting through all the intel we have on Dimitri’s territory with all the reports from our own end.

Knocking brings my attention up from a training report to see Kane stick his scowling face through the door. All physical evidence of our fight has been wiped away, all that's left is hurt pride.

"You good?" I ask as he walks in and takes a seat. He scans the room like a sullen child, avoiding eye contact.

"Yeah, Willow and Mira patched me right up," he grumbles, frowning more.

I sigh, not wanting to deal with this. Cyrus is still worked up and grumbling in my mind and Kane has reverted to a petulant child who has missed a nap.

"Not what I meant, Jackass," I grumble. "Are we good?" I lock eyes with him and wait for his answer.

"It wasn't personal," he mumbles before turning his amber gaze to me. "After you went off half-cocked the first time, I was worried you would do it again."

"Fortunately I have friends that aren't afraid to call me on my shit, eh?" I ask, raising a brow.

A crooked grin slowly creeps across his face and he nods. "Yeah. Lucky you."