65 Loss

Chris POV

Despair swallows me as I'm thrown out of the dreamscape. My heart races as I struggle to wake back up. I hear worried voices before my eyes respond, their words crash together making no sense. Finally my eyelids twitch and I can barely make out three shadowy figures hovering over me.

Instinct takes over and I lash out, sending them back. In an instant, I'm on my feet, crouched and ready to strike back. I rub my eyes and struggle to get my bearings as they all speak.

"Brother, it's me, calm down-"

"Chris, please wait!"

"Give him some space..."

As my eyes come into focus I look at the last speaker and recognize Jude. His crystal blue eyes are full of concern as he holds his palms up to me.

"Jude?" I call out as I struggle to calm my racing heart and breathing.

"That's right, it's me man," Jude replies with a reassuring smile. 

As I scan the room and see Jace and Derek also, with all six eyes locked on me. I shake my head like it will help clear the fog and let my senses return faster.

"What happened?" Jace asks, drawing my attention back to him.

"Happened?" I ask furrowing my brow. I run my hand through my hair as I try and clear my mind.

"You told us to check patrol, we did and reported back but you cut off the link mid conversation," Jace explains. His grey eyes lock on me, searching for any hint that I catch on. "When I got here you were going crazy in your office... then you just dropped."

Slowly with his words the fog finally relents and the memories start to slam back all at once. 

Anger... Despair... Terror.... Jess!

My eyes go wide as I remember all of her emotions and pain flooding back through the bond. Voices sound behind me but their words don't register as I take off for the door.

Just as I make it out the front door I'm tackled and hit the ground hard. I snarl and roll out landing on my feet to face my attacker. 

Derek!

"Move," I growl as our eyes lock.

"Wait brother, talk to us," he says, holding his palms up in surrender.

"They... She's gone," I choke out as my chest tightens painfully.

Gasps ring out as my words sink in. The weight of all eyes are on me, but my attention is solely on my brother and his stunned silence.

"I waited... I did everything I could... and it wasn't enough," I growl out, balling my fists as my anger mounts.

"How?" Jace whispers as his grey eyes water. A second later he shakes his head as his expression hardens. "No, I don't believe it, she can't be-"

"I saw it," I snap, cutting him off. 

Tears burn my eyes and threaten to fall as I remember cradling her broken and battered frame. My gaze drops to my fists and I open my hands, half expecting to see her blood on them... the images are burned into my brain and will no doubt haunt me for the rest of my life.

"I had her," I whisper. "But she slipped away anyway... I wasn't enough." The words get caught in my throat as my heart breaks all over again. My eyes are locked on my fingers as my mind replays her slipping away. Tears slip down my cheeks as I see her slip away over and over again.

"No," Jude whispers as his eyes well.

"I wish I was wrong, but I know what I saw," I growl. 

Derek lays his hands on my shoulder, turning my attention back to him. His brown eyes lock on mine and swirl with more emotion than I've ever seen from him before.