72 Picking up the Pieces

Chris POV

A big grin threatens to split my face in two as I take in the sight of my sleeping mate. Only days have passed, but her improvements have been extensive. The bruises have faded, her warm complection is back, and the sparks between us are back to full strength.

Jess stirs, sniffing as her body wakes from it's deep slumber. Slowly, her beautiful golden brown eyes flutter open and find mine. 

She looks like a little kitten stretching after a nap.

"Morning," she mumbles, sleepily rubbing her eyes before offering me a soft smile. Her gaze quickly settles on the plates in my hands.

"How'd you sleep?" I ask, sliding the bedside table over her lap as she sits up. Her eyes light up when they land on the french toast, bacon, and hash. I can't hold back a chuckle at her enthusiasm.

It's good to see her finally have an appetite again.

"Like the dead," she laughs, taking a bite of bacon. 

I turn my attention to my own plate of bacon, eggs and sausage. We eat in an easy silence and I take added comfort that this will be the last meal in the hospital.

The portion I brought her is not a particularly big one and yet, two thirds of the way through, she starts to slow down. Doc has been very vocal about her dietary needs based on her condition.

"So when you finish your plate, I was wondering if you'd be up for a visitor?" I ask, raising a brow. It may be bribery but I'm willing to use what I need to to help her get better.

"Yes!" Jess practically squeals, her bright eyes dancing with excitement. "Why not send them in now?"

"'Cause then you'll forget to eat," I reply with a pointed look, shifting my gaze from her to the plate and back.

Her face flushes as a sheepish smile slips on her lips, but she turns her attention back to the plate. After a few moments and a bit of effort, her plate is clean and she looks stuffed.

I grab it, stack it with mine, and get up, placing a soft kiss on her forehead. "I'll get rid of these and come back with some company. That'll give you enough time to brush your teeth and hair," I say, heading to the door. She smiles and nods before slipping out of the bed and gingerly heading to the bathroom. 

I sigh watching her go. She's still very shaky on her feet, but with more exercise Doc has assured me her strength will get better. The challenge is finding the fine line between getting her strength back versus resting and replenishing her body.

When she disappears into the bathroom, I close the door to her room and head down the hall to the main ward. In no time, I spot Mira flitting between beds in the last makeshift non-critical injury ward. Her disheveled flaming hair and deeply shadowed eyes reflect how hard the hospital staff and extra hands have been working to reduce the number of injured. To look around the sparsely filled ward, it doesn't look like the aftermath of a major war. 

"How long has it been since you slept?" I ask, my voice heavy with concern.

A small smile spreads across her face as she takes me in with an unreadable expression. "I'm due, but I'm holding down the fort while others finally rest. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. Jess is fine, thanks to you," I say with an appreciative smile. 

I owe her and her sister the world for what they did for Jess. 

Mira just nods and turns to go back to work. She attends to a large warrior's shoulder, stripping back the layers of gauze away to reveal savage spreading scars that look like someone tried to rip his arm off. He flinches slightly as her slender fingers probe the healing area. When she lands on a knotted piece of flesh, the air hums around her, then the wound instantly smooths out. The warrior lifts his arm and twists it with a sense of awe. His smile reminds me of the small miracles she's selflessly performed in front of me.