Chapter nine

Measi ran through the woods as she saw the black smoke coming from the prison, it was still burning. She sighed as she let herself fall onto the ground, she was exhausted from the running and she did not like it that she hadn't run into anyone of her group. Did Glenn even make it out, he was still sick and she didn't see him get to the bus. Did Michonne get away from the governor? Did Daryl make it out? 

She groaned loudly when she heard a group of walkers going towards her. She couldn't take all of them on with her knife and she needed the bullets she had. She got herself back onto her feet, walking towards the south as she tried to avoid the walkers around her and to get out of the woods. 

When she made it out of the woods, she ended up on the road where they'd end up when they found the prison. She looked around for prints, or any sign of the group at all. There were no tire marks of the school bus either, so, most likely, no-one had come through this route. She decided that any way was as good of a guess as any other, taking a right, away from the prison she felt her feet being painfully sore. She needed transportation, food, water, ammo. She didn't have anything with her except the three weapons and the picture of Nathan, none of that would keep her alive longer than a day. 

Her mouth felt dry as she dragged her feet forward, still seeing the black smoke wasn't a good sign, she was too close to the prison, too close to danger. She walked for hours when an empty car came in sight, she sighed in relief as she rushed to it. Even if it didn't run, there may be food and water. Next to that, it was a place to sleep. 

Busting the driver side door open with a simple trick before climbing in. The keys were still in the engine, a half-empty bottle of water in the cup holder and a bag in the passenger seat. ''Bingo.'' She slammed the door shut behind her, locking it from the inside. The evening had already fallen, looking out the window to the moon and the stars in the sky, she smiled.

It reminded her of how small she was in the big universe. She scrambled around, finding an old, torn up blanket that she draped over herself, trying to cover herself up as much as she could. She pulled the leather jacket of herself, throwing it over her head as she tried to get comfortable on the back seat. 

She let herself relax as she closed her eyes, letting herself drift of to sleep. 

She didn't know when she'd woken up, probably somewhere in the afternoon, judging by the position of the sun. Pulling the blanket of her body and pulling her jacket on, her mind wondered to Daryl and Nathan, would they have gotten out? would they be looking for her? She sighed as she climbed into the driver seat, turning to keys around. Much to her surprise, it worked on the first try. She laughed in delight as she put the belt on, pushing the seat up and taking the wheel. She checked the tank, full. 

She couldn't believe her luck, and quickly realized this car belonged to somebody. She doubted herself for a moment before shaking her head. ''Fuck it.'' Stepping onto the gas she smirked, taking the half empty bottle and taking a sip, letting the liquid slide past her throat as she kept driving. 

After driving for about thirty minutes, a sound came from the dashboard, her eyes were drawn to it as she cursed. ''Oh fuck off.'' She stopped the car, seeing that it was overheated. She turned off the engine and tapped her fingers on the wheel, wondering what she should do to cure her boredom. She realized she hadn't even checked the bag next to her, grabbing it with her three fingers and taking it onto her lap. She unzipped it as she took out the items, two cans of beets and another full bottle of water. There was also a set of clothes in it, they were too big for her but she decided to keep them anyway. 

Her mind drifted of again, not just to Daryl and Nathan, but to Beth as well. Beth wasn't a fighter, if she'd end up alone she wouldn't make it. Measi hoped she was with Maggie, if Maggie was still there at least. 

Measi, being the impatient girl she is, turned the engine on again. The overheating symbol still popped up, she slammed her hands against the wheel, her head turning to a soft snarl outside. She sighed as she decided to keep driving. She kept driving for a while, no longer being able to see the smoke of the burned prison.  As she was driving her mind wasn't on the road. A sudden 'thud' came from the hood as her body slammed forward, the belt keeping her in place as she looked up. She had slammed the car into a fallen tree on the road. She groaned before screaming out, getting frustrated. She wouldn't be able to move it by herself and going in reverse would bring her back to the prison, so that wasn't an option either. 

She gathered her stuff as she grabbed the sniper from the backseat, throwing it around her head as it rested on her back. She checked if she had everything with her and turned off the engine, leaving the keys in the car before slamming the door shut, sighing again as she stepped over the fallen tree. Her head snapped up at the sound of what sounded like a baby crying, but as fast as it turned up, as fast as it disappeared again. She shook her head at herself, making the conclusion that it had been in her head. 

She kept walking as leafs crunched under her feet, she looked up to the sun, trying to figure out how long it had been since she'd woken up. It had only been about an hour, but it felt like much more. Her eyes traveled towards her right hand, the painful memory of losing her fingers came flooding back to her. 

Sorry for the long wait, I hope it was worth the wait and I cannot wait to begin writing this book again. If you enjoyed this chapter please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you soon!

-X Violet's-library