Chapter two

Warning, this chapter begins very bloody and gory, be warned. 

------------------------------------------------------

Measi was curled up in Nathan's embrace in their shared cell, the door closed as always just in case anything happened. She had just turned herself around when a gunshot ran through her ears, both herself and Nathan quickly jumping up as they glanced at each other. Still in pajamas's, Nathan pulled away the bed sheet they hung up in front of their cell door, a walker jumping at him through the bars. 

Measi reacted quickly, pushing her knife into it's head as she pulled open the cell door, as more and more walkers came at her and Nathan. She threw one of her guns towards him as he caught it, taking it of the safety and shooting a walker in it's head while Measi pushed as many people into cells before closing them, getting them to safety. 

She rushed up the stairs as she kept killing the walkers trying to get to her, being careful not to hit any alive people. Rick, Glenn, Daryl, Carol rushed inside as well, trying to control the situation. Tyreese and Sasha arriving not much later. 

Nathan shot the last walker as the group looked around, nodding at the situation. ''I think we-'' Before he could finish, he heard an agonizing scream coming from upstairs. ''Measi!'' Both himself and Daryl rushed upstairs, seeing Measi struggling with a walker that was clustered into her pink and ring finger. Daryl shot his crossbow, allowing Measi to fall onto the ground, clutching her fingers on her right hand. 

Glenn, who was the most awake at this point, pulled her up, pulling her into a cell block. ''Get medical supplies!'' Rick rushed out as he rushed to find the medical supplies and Hershel while Glenn, Daryl and Nathan got her into her cell. ''We're going to have to amputate both fingers.'' 

Nathan quickly grabbed his belt from next to him, passing it to Measi who stuck it into her mouth, laying her fingers on the desk She turned her head the other way as Glenn held his axe above them, getting a nod from Daryl as he hit her fingers as hard as he could, earning a loud scream from Measi as she squeezed Nathan's hand as hard as she could. Blood poured out of her knuckles as the two fingers were cut of from her hand. Tears poured from her eyes when Hershel and Rick rushed into the cell. 

Glenn dropped the axe, holding his hand in front of his mouth in order not to throw up. Measi finally let go of Nathan's hand as he tried to comfort her as much as he could, but she kept on sobbing as Hershel got to work, Daryl, Glenn and Rick leaving the room to let him do this job. 

Glenn turned to Daryl as he put a hand on his shoulder. ''You good?'' He shook his head for a moment as he looked back to the cell where he could still hear his sobbing sister. 

''Gotta be.'' Himself, Rick and Glenn killed any left overs walkers before Rick called them towards the last cell. ''It's Patrick.'' 

About 15 minutes after Measi's amputation, Hershel had let her rest in her bed as he, Rick, Daryl, Bob and Doctor S. looked at Charlie's dead body. 

''No bites. No wounds. I think he just died.'' Rick looked at Charlie's dead body, blood covering his face. 

''Horribly, too. Pleurisy aspiration. Choked to death on his own blood. Caused those trails down his face.'' Hershel explained, pointing at the blood which seemed to come from his eyes, nose and mouth. 

''I've seen them before on a walker outside the fences.''

''I saw them on Patrick, too.'' Daryl continued. 

''They're from the internal lung pressure building up-- like if you shake a soda can and pop the top. Only imagine your eyes, ears, nose, and throat are the top.''

''It's a sickness,'' Bob stated before turning to Hershel and Doctor S. ''from the walkers?''

''No, these things happened before they were around. Could be pneumococcal. Most likely an aggressive flu strain.''

''Someone locked him in just in time.''

''No, man. Charlie used to sleepwalk.'' Daryl spoke up, looking at the body. ''Locked himself in. Hell, he was just eating barbecue yesterday. -- How could somebody die in a day just from a cold?''

''I had a sick pig, it died quick. Saw a sick boar in the woods.''

''Pigs and birds. That's how these things spread in the past.'' Hershel spoke up from besides Daryl. ''We need to do something about those hogs.''

''Maybe we got lucky. Maybe these two cases are it.'' Doctor S. said, looking at Hershel who seemed doubtful.

''Haven't seen anybody be lucky in a long time.'' Bob spoke up. ''Bugs like to run through close quarters. Doesn't get any closer than this.''

''All of us in here, we've all been exposed.'' Hershel spoke up, Daryl looking to the staircase where Nathan was sitting with his head in his hands. 

Daryl had excused Measi from the counsel meeting, Doctor S. had decided to stay with her to make sure she was alright. They were currently talking about what to do about everyone that had been exposed, but every idea was shot down. They had decided that it shouldn't be all the exposed one's as that had been the entire cell block and all of the counsel. They couldn't stay in the same cell block for now, but Carol mentioned cell block A.

''Death row?'' Glenn questioned, his eyes roaming over the others. ''I'm not sure that that is much of an upgrade.'' 

''It's clean, that's an upgrade.'' Everyone looked up when they heard a loud coughing, sprinting out of their seats as they looked at Karen who was coughing uncontrollably. Tyreese wanted to take her to his cell, but they all decided against before they explained what was going on. Sasha took Tyreese and Karen to cell block A as Glenn decided to get David, someone else who had been coughing.

''Are you alright if I go to Measi before I get to bury the dead one's? I have to see how she's doing.'' Carol and Hershel nodded at him as he thanked them, walking towards Cell block D. 

Measi sat in her bed as she looked at her hand, it was weird to say the least. ''It still feels like it's there.'' She stated as she looked at Nathan, who sat besides her. ''I think that's called phantom limb.'' She looked at the stitched that covered the ugly hole as she played with the sheets of her bed. ''Do they know what caused it yet?'' He gave a soft nod, Daryl had come in and told him.

''It was called Pleurisy aspiration.'' He sounded like he was questioning himself, but Measi nodded at him.

''Horrible way to die.'' She spoke up, realizing that everyone in there, including herself, Nathan and Daryl had already been exposed to the sickness, and there were some pretty high changes that at least one of them would get it. He gave her a soft smile as he scooted into the bed next to her, allowing her to use his chest as a pillow, closing her eyes and falling asleep. 

So, that happened ... I hope you enjoyed this new chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated. I'll see you next week!

-X Violet's-library