Chapter two

''Any luck?'' Lori snapped her head up when Amy approached her, berries in a small basket and placing them down on the ground, startling Maesi a bit as she looked up. 

''How do we tell if they're poison?'' Amy asked as she looked at Lori, not expecting Maesi to know the answer.

''Let me see.'' Maesi took the basket and grabbed one of the berries, inspecting it and peeling of a bit of skin. ''You can eat it.'' She smirked and gave the basket back to Amy. ''But, you should wash them with a bit of boiled water before, they could be infected.'' Amy gave a nod and walked off to the side of camp.

Lori got off of the ground and looked up to Dale who was on top of the van. ''Dale, I'm heading out.'' She then turned to Carl who was writing in a notebook. ''Sweetheart, I want you to stay where Dale or Maesi can see you, okay?'' 

''Yes, mom.''

''You too.'' Dale commented, startling Lori a bit as she looked at him with a confused look on her face. ''Don't wander too far. Stay within shouting distance.And if you see anything, holler. I'll come running.''

Lori sighed and muttered under her breath, even though Measi was able to hear it. ''Yes, mom.''Maesi chuckled and shook her head at Lori, sticking her tongue out when Lori glared at her.

Maesi placed herself on top of the van again, polishing her sniper one last time, making sure the scope was fully cleaned up if something happened. She smiled as she looked at Shane and Carl. The two of them looked like father and son, but everyone knew they weren't.

''Attaboy. -- And three, two, one pull it.'' 

''Ah! Aw.'' As Carl failed again, both of them laughed at each other, Maesi couldn't help but giggle at it herself. 

''Start it over. Make a 'p' the other way around your finger. -- Good, just tie it like around your finger. Attaboy.''

Her head snapped up when she heard the radio going over, she rushed over to it, hearing T-Dog's voice.  

''Hello, base camp! Can anybody out there hear me? Base camp, this is T-Dog. Anybody hear me?'' She grabbed the radio, pushing into the button to talk to T-Dog. 

''Hello? Hello? Reception's bad on this end.'' when no-one responded she sighed. ''T-Dog, repeat. T-Dog, I can't hear you. Repeat!

'' Shane, is that you?'' Maesi frowned and sighed to herself, muttering under her breath. 

''Do I sound like a damn man?''

''Is that them?'' Maesi gave a nod, trying to get the radio to work again.

''We're in some deep shit. We're trapped in the department store. -- There are geeks all over the place. Hundreds of 'em. We're surrounded.''

''T-Dog, repeat that last. Repeat.'' When the radio didn't give another sound, Maesi threw the radio onto the ground. ''No more signal.''

''He said the department store.'' Lori looked over to Shane, who was looking at Maesi like she knew how to fix this.

''I heard it too.'' confirming their guess, Dale turned to Maesi again, looking at her as she tried the radio again. 

Shane?'' Maesi walked down the ladder as Lori turned to Shane again, trying to get his attention.

''No way. We do not go after them. We do not risk the rest of the group.-- Y'all know that.''

''So we're just gonna leave her there?'' Shane turned to Amy, a small look of sympathy on his face as he placed a hand on her shoulder, trying to calm the teenager down. 

''Look, Amy, I know that this is not easy.''

''She volunteered to go to help the rest of us.'' 

''I know, and she knew the risks, right? See, if she's trapped, she's gone. So we just have to deal with that. There's nothing we can do.'' Maesi pulled her strap closer, trying to control her anger. It wasn't just her group in there, it was her brother as well. And he may be a douche bag, but he was still her brother. 

''She's my sister, you son of a bitch.'' 

''Amy Come on.'' Lori grabbed Amy's arm and pulled her away with her, giving Shane a disappointing look as she did so. 

Welcome to chapter two! Hopefully you enjoyed this story, if you did please leave a vote, comment and add this story to your reading list to know when I upload again. I'll see you soon!

-X Violet's-library