Chapter fourteen

Two days later, the four had set up a small camp, Measi was sitting next to the fire she had just build. Rick took off the can that had been standing on a metal like placement as he turned to the other three. ''How hungry are you, on a scale of one to ten?''

''Fifteen.''

''Twenty-eight.''

Before Measi could answer, her stomach growled in hunger. ''I think that sums it up.'' They laughed as Rick spoke a soft 'yeah' while Carl poked in the fire. ''Well, it's been a while. I'm gonna go check the snares. 

''Can I go with you? ''

''Well, how else are you gonna learn?'' As Rick and Carl stood up, Rick turned to the two females. ''Hey, you, too.'' Measi looked up from the fire, softly shaking her head. ''I am going to hunt for some food before we find Terminus, I'll meet you guys back here.'' Rick nodded as Carl hugged the older girl, saying a silent goodbye as Rick, Carl and Michonne disappeared into the woods. 

Walking though the woods calmed the girl down, being with others from the group made her feel at peace, calm and protected. She looked at the closed skin on her knuckles, her fingers were moving in her mind, wriggling around as if she was playing on a keyboard. Beth had shown her the basics back when they were on the road, neither one of them had gotten the hang of it, but the basics were there. She smiled as she remembered the blonde teenager. She wondered if she would still be alive and where she would be. 

Beth sat next to Measi as Measi drew the keys of a piano on a piece of white paper, writing down what letter associated with what key. ''Why is playing an instrument so confusing?'' Measi tilted her head at Beth as she stared at the letters. ''And why associate letters with notes, it makes no sense.''

''A lot of things don't make sense, such as walkers.'' Measi hummed in agreement as she put the last letter down, pushing it to Beth. ''You're the musically talented one.'' Beth chuckled as she hummed the different notes as she placed her fingers on the keys. Measi followed her fingers as she used her pink and ring finger. ''Okay, this is just unfair, I can't even do that, I am missing two of them.'' The two girls laughed as Hershel appeared in the doorway. ''Dinner is almost ready, you should finish up.''

''We'll be right there daddy.'' Measi looked towards the ground in a jealous matter, she was happy for Beth that she had such a great relationship with her father, Measi was just jealous she never had that with her father. 

Measi snapped back into reality when Carl called for her name, running past her as he grabbed her arm, pulling her with him as they ran from the woods, snarls and groans behind them as they ran into the road. 

Measi slept in the front seat that night as Rick and Michonne stayed up and Carl laid on the backseat. She had thrown her jacket over Carl's body to keep him warm in the cold night as she slept with her sniper tugged under her arm, put on the safety so she wouldn't trigger it in her sleep. 

She was abruptly woken up by someone tugging harshly on her hair, dragging her out of the car as she screamed in pain, trying to get away from the person who was holding her brown locks in his hands. A hand was pushed onto her mouth to stop her from screaming, she did after a while as her eyes landed on Rick and Michonne sitting on the logs, guns pointed at them. 

She realized these had been the people at the house where they had ran away from and where Measi had killed someone with her sniper. 

''Shit, and I was thinking of turning in for the night on New Year's Eve.'' The man who was holding a gun to Ricks head laughed as he turned to the other four men around them. ''Now who's gonna count down the ball dropper with me, huh?'' Measi tried to tug herself free, reaching for her sniper before the man janked on her arm, pulling it behind her back. The man had started counting from ten Mississippi before he was stopped on eight.