Chapter nine

Measi stayed by Beth's side the entire time, Patricia actually bringing her some food to eat upstairs, Nathan joining her in the room, not wanting her to be alone. 

''You didn't have to come you know? I can handle being by myself.''

''I know, but I wanted to be here.'' She gave him a soft smile as she put another piece of bread into her mouth. She looked at Beth again as she placed her hand on the girl's forehead, smiling when she felt that the fever had gone down. 

At least some good news. 

Measi had slept on the couch in Beth's room, waking up from the slightest of sounds. Maggie had come into the room a bit earlier as Nathan was sitting in another chair. 

''Hey. Can I get you anything?'' Nathan questioned as he got up from his chair, seeing Measi give the slightest nod, indicating for some water, but not wanting to show Maggie that she needed something to get her energy back. 

''Nah, I just wish my dad was here.''

''She'll be okay.'' Measi spoke up, smiling at Maggie as she placed a hand on Maggie's knee. ''You just need to be strong for her.'' Nathan took that as his hint to get the water for Measi as he left the room, feeling a girl talk coming up. 

''I was just reminding her about -- Never mind.''

''No no. -- I-I'd love to hear.''

''My dad would die if he heard this.'' Maggie said as she looked around the corner, as if she expected her father to come into the room. ''My first summer back from college, I drove home, dumped my stuff off, went straight out to the stable for a ride. My family comes back from church and Beth grabs my things and starts unpacking my stuff upstairs.''

''That's sweet.''

''Yeah, until this one here starts rifling through my backpack. She finds this little plastic container with these pink and green candies inside. She didn't even know I was on the pill.She was so freaked out by the idea of me, and boys and sex, she runs outside and chucks them in the duck pond. And I ride up, I see this, I'm screaming. She's crying and Shawn runs outside, thinks one of us is drowning. Soon as he figures out what's going on, the jerk busts out laughing so loud that my horse rears up and gets mud all over the three of us. My dad comes out, "What the heck's goin' on out here?!" And she turns around, bats her eyelids and says, "We're just swimming, daddy." In her Sunday dress, all covered in snot and mud.'' Measi smiled at her, she could only imagine how Merle and Daryl would react to her taking the pill. 

After a while, Maggie had returned from downstairs, looking at the two teenagers and smiling as she saw them next to Beth, happily chatting and also talking to Beth. She walked inside of the room, leaning against the door frame listening to Nathan.

''My older sister, I remember her being on the pill.'' He laughed as he looked at Measi again. ''She was on the pill, and I found them in the bathroom, I walked up to her, holding them in my hand and casually asking her ''Do these taste good? You hid them from me so they should be very yummy.'' And she and my parents were just laughing so loudly, and I looked around the room so confused.'' Measi laughed as she turned to Beth again, seeing her eyelid move a bit.

''Hey. hey Beth.'' Maggie looked at her younger sister, walking towards them as she took a seat next to them, looking at the blonde haired girl. ''She'll be okay, but she'll need some food soon.''

''Guys.'' All heads turned to the red car that was approaching the farm, Rick, Hershel and Glenn, finally.

''Dad!'' Carl ran to his father as Maggie rushed to Glenn, passing her father and fully ignoring him. 

''Patricia, prepare the shed for surgery.'' Lori and Rick caught up with each other, talking about how Lori had snuck out of the farm to go and find him, until T-Dog spoke up, pointing to another person in the car.

''Who the hell is that?

''That's Randall.'' Glenn called out, his head hung low as he walked inside, passing Measi and not even giving her the slightest of smiles. 

''We couldn't just leave him behind. He would've bled out, if he lived that long.''

''It's gotten bad in town.'' Glenn spoke up, Maggie giving him a concerned face as Measi leaned her weight onto the door frame, a bit tired from watching over Beth all the time. 

''What do we do with him?'' 

''I repaired his calf muscle as best I can, but he'll probably have nerve damage. Won't be on his feet for at least a week.'' Hershel said as he walked into the room, Measi finally leaning on her own legs instead of on the door frame. 

''When he is, we give him a canteen, take him out to the main road, send him on his way.''

''Isn't that the same as leaving him for the walkers?''

''He'll have a fighting chance.'' Measi spoke up, all heads turning towards her. ''He can walk, run, have some food. We ain't responsible for his safety.''  

''Just gonna let him go? -- He knows where we are.'' 

''He was blindfolded the whole way here. -- He's not a threat.'' Rick spoke up, Shane scoffing and starting to argue with him ... again. 

''Not a threat. How many of them were there? You killed three of their men, you took one of them hostage, but they just ain't gonna come looking?''

''They left him for dead. -- No one is looking.''

''We should still post a guard.'' T-Dog called out. 

''He's out cold right now, will be for hours.''

''You know what? I'm gonna go get him some flowers and candy.'' Shane scoffed as he called out again. ''Look at this, folks we back in fantasy land.''

''You know, we haven't even dealt with what you did at my barn yet. Let me make this perfectly clear, once and for all This is my farm. Now I wanted you gone.Rick talked me out of it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. So do us both a favor keep your mouth shut.'' Measi smirked at the last sentence that Hershel spoke, Shane deserved it. 

''Look.We're not gonna do anything about it today. Let's just cool off.'' Rick spoke to Hershel as Andrea walked out of the house, Measi looking at Daryl as he hurriedly walked out too, Carol behind him. She didn't know what was going on, but she did know he needed space. 

Measi had left the house to allow the family some private time now Hershel was back, and because she didn't have to look out for Beth anymore. She was walking around the fences when Nathan showed up next to her, silently walking next to her as she softly grabbed his hand. He frowned as he looked at their joined hands before smiling faintly, not noticing the blush on Measi's face. 

There is (finally) something blooming between Measi and Nathan, I love being able to write them into each chapter until now, please if you enjoyed this story leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated, I hope to see you soon!

-X Violet's-library